Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   First time quilt show entry (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/first-time-quilt-show-entry-t185798.html)

Shmersh 04-12-2012 09:41 AM

First time quilt show entry

Hi! I just stumbled onto your board today when I was searching for a solution to fix a seam in my quilt. I found several ideas (thank you very much!), but here's my dilemma. If you were me, would you still enter this quilt in a quilt show?

I washed the quilt for the first time yesterday. It was only then that I noticed it has one small seam (about 1.5 inches) that has come loose. Of course it is intersected by the quilting (done by a long-armer).

I was so excited to enter this is the Sisters Outdoor Quilt show, which is in July. This is the first quilt that I designed and completed. Ultimately, my decision to go ahead will depend on my repair job, but any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Shawn

Hinterland 04-12-2012 09:55 AM

Go for it! Chances are good no one will see the repair anyway, and you will love the sight of it hanging with the other quilts.

Janet

QuiltE 04-12-2012 10:03 AM

Check with the show's entry requirements ... many shows will NOT accept quilts that have been laundered. Also, there may be other inclusions/exclusions which will tell you if you should enter it.

Good Luck!

jaciqltznok 04-12-2012 10:04 AM

welcome from N. OK. I say fix it and go for it!

mighty 04-12-2012 10:47 AM

Welcome from Southern CA. Have fun with it, good luck!!!!

bjeriann 04-12-2012 10:53 AM

I agree, usually we are the only ones how see thing like this on our own quilts. Welcome from Alabama and good luck in the quilt show.

Raggiemom 04-12-2012 10:54 AM

Welcome and good luck with the show. I would enter it. :)

ShowMama 04-12-2012 11:06 AM

I would definitely repair it, then go ahead and enter it in the show. I have been a scribe several times for judges at our local quilt show and, believe me, they will see a loose seam. One judge I scribed for could see a cat hair at 20 paces!

virtualbernie 04-12-2012 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 5135622)
Check with the show's entry requirements ... many shows will NOT accept quilts that have been laundered. Also, there may be other inclusions/exclusions which will tell you if you should enter it.

Good Luck!

Not planning to ever enter a quilt of mine in a show but I was curious--why don't they want it laundered? What about the quilt markings?

Hinterland 04-12-2012 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie (Post 5135787)
Not planning to ever enter a quilt of mine in a show but I was curious--why don't they want it laundered? What about the quilt markings?

I've entered a lot of quilt shows, and I've never seen a rule about not laundering quilts. These are local and national shows.

I have seen rules about not accepting quilts that smell bad or are soiled.

A laundered quilt may not hang well, but blocking it would help that.

Janet