Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Aunt Betty's Bar B Q (aka sloppy joes) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/aunt-bettys-bar-b-q-aka-sloppy-joes-t186307.html)

LeslieFrost 04-16-2012 02:23 PM

Aunt Betty's Bar B Q (aka sloppy joes)

This is a recipe from my childhood. Aunt Betty was one of my mother's sisters. As far as I can remember, this is the ONLY recipe that is attached to her memory! She did not cook much, as she lived with two of her other sisters (all three never married) and Hilda and Mary did most of the cooking. Betty cleaned up.

In Cincinnati, in my family, we ate this on open face hamburger buns, with coleslaw piled on top. These days, my DH and I are not so fond of coleslaw. We still use buns, but we often put a slice of cheddar on the bun, then pile on the saucy meat.

For each pound of ground beef:

One med. onion, chopped
One jar chili sauce
One Tablespoon of each of these:
prepared horseradish (this will be in a refrigerated case -- do NOT use horseradish sauce, it is not the same at all)
brown sugar
Worcestershire sauce
yellow mustard
vinegar (apple cider is good, but any kind will do)

Brown the ground beef and cook the onions lightly. Pour off the grease. Add everything else. Simmer for as long as you've got -- 20 min. will do it, but longer is better.

Since I acquired a slow cooker with an insert that will go on the stove, I usually brown the meat and onions in the insert, pour off the grease, then add everything else and let the slow cooker simmer it. On high for 2 hours works, or low for 4.

My Dad made this mostly in the summer, but I make it all year 'round now. It is easy to double or triple the recipe, and the leftover goes into the freezer in 2 person portions -- it reheats wonderfully.

Up North 04-16-2012 02:45 PM

This is very much like my mom made we make homemade canned Chili sauce and do not add the horseradish my kids always loved it I tell people it is a I love it or I hate it meal. Everyone that has tried it loves it it sure beats that manwich stuff!!

Twisted Quilter 04-16-2012 03:04 PM

I've been craving sloppy joes for about a month. I will definitely put this on my menu for next week.

Thanks for sharing!

BTW, one of the ladies at work use to make sloppy joes for all the pot lucks and they were delicious. I know she put ginger ale in them but can't remember anything else. Does anyone have a similar recipe?

jeaninmaine 04-17-2012 08:53 AM

Thanks for the recipe. I love Sloppy Joes.

Sweeterthanwine 04-17-2012 02:38 PM

Thank you for this recipe. I love Sloppy Joes and this will be good to make in the motorhome while we are traveling. Easy to.

susiequilt 04-17-2012 05:46 PM

This is the recipe I make except for no horseradish. Good and easy.

mountain-moma 04-19-2012 04:53 PM

Thanks for the recipe i to love Bar B Q's but i like a thin slice of tomato on mine

Gladygirl 04-19-2012 07:34 PM

My favorite Sloppy Joe Recipe---brown 1 1/2 lbs ground beef and a medium chopped onion. Pour off fat. Add 1/4 cup catsup, 1 tablespoon yellow mustard and 1 can Campbells Chicken Gumbo soup and simmer for 15-20 min. Have made this a million times and usually keep some in freezer in case of unexpected guests--everyone loves it. Don't add extra salt but I add a little black pepper.

LeslieFrost 04-20-2012 05:23 PM

Wow, chicken gumbo soup! I'll have to look for that!

SouthPStitches 04-21-2012 11:03 AM

This sounds wonderful and I'm going to try it. So many recipes contain peppers that Hubby unfortunately won't touch.