Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   To wash wool batting or not to wash? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wash-wool-batting-not-wash-t186848.html)

Quinlog 04-22-2012 05:30 AM

To wash wool batting or not to wash?

I'm making a king-size quilt (my first) and am wondering whether or not I should pre-wash the wool batting. I can wash it, but I'm afraid I don't have an area big enough to dry it! Is it necessary to pre-wash the wool?

dunster 04-22-2012 05:51 AM

Read the directions for your batt. I have used Hobbs Heirloom wool batting, and it is not necessary to wash it.

Scissor Queen 04-22-2012 06:29 AM

It's not dirty, it doesn't need washed! As expensive as wool is I wouldn't risk pre-shrinking it.

ckcowl 04-22-2012 07:37 AM

i love wool batting! i use either Dream Wool or Hobbs Wool---neither require prewashing---neither shrink---- both wash up beautifully when the quilt is finished-
i made my first quilt in 1976---and make ALOT of quilts---i have never- ever even considered pre-washing a batt. i wash my finished quilts after quilting & binding is completed- as the final step before it goes where ever it is going

Dolphyngyrl 04-22-2012 09:00 AM

I don't prewash unless its dirty and the instructions say it is washable

dunster 04-22-2012 09:39 AM

Not all wool batts are the same. Chances are, if yours is from one of the big batting manufacturers, it will not need to be pre-washed. However, you may have purchased yours from another source, such as a local mill. Some still have lanolin in them and need to be pre-washed. That's why it is important to check the instructions for YOUR batt, rather than rely on opinions of those of us who have not pre-washed OUR batts.

Quinlog 04-22-2012 11:13 AM

Thank you all for your advice. I'm using Hobbs and have decided not to pre-wash.

hopetoquilt 04-22-2012 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 5161659)
Not all wool batts are the same. Chances are, if yours is from one of the big batting manufacturers, it will not need to be pre-washed. However, you may have purchased yours from another source, such as a local mill. Some still have lanolin in them and need to be pre-washed. That's why it is important to check the instructions for YOUR batt, rather than rely on opinions of those of us who have not pre-washed OUR batts.

As the DSIL of Quinlog... I must add that she asked me and I did not know. The directions just gave directions for washing. It did not say washing was required or optional. Very confusing.

majormom 04-23-2012 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 5161432)
i love wool batting! i use either Dream Wool or Hobbs Wool---neither require prewashing---neither shrink---- both wash up beautifully when the quilt is finished-
i made my first quilt in 1976---and make ALOT of quilts---i have never- ever even considered pre-washing a batt. i wash my finished quilts after quilting & binding is completed- as the final step before it goes where ever it is going

I use Dream Wool (and the Dream Cotton batting too!) and neither need to be washed before use. As a matter of fact, I read on their website that the wool in the batting is washed etc so many time in the process, almost all of the 'shrink' has been taken out of it! :-) In fact the wool will shrink less than the cotton! So quilt away with your not prewashed batting and enjoy the wonderful characteristic of your wool batting! I love the stuff!