Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Ticks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/ticks-t189866.html)

ptquilts 05-24-2012 06:05 AM

Ticks

has anyone noticed ticks being very bad this year? I have flushed so many of them in the last month (I feel that is the only way to make sure they are gone). Fortunately I have not had any attached, just feel them crawling and nab them. DH too.

I even had one crawling on my leg after I came in from outside, showered, and put on all new clothes. Now where did it come from? Hate to think they are living in my rug. I have no pets that might bring them in.

We had one other year like this in the last 20 years. I am wondering if the mild winter has anything to do with it. One of my hunter friends said moose permits are down this year because so many of the moose are stressed already by being covered in ticks.

luvTooQuilt 05-24-2012 06:17 AM

ugh.. i HATE them... we live out int he country and every year- if i see one- to me its bad.. We have to put granules all over surrounding the house or they are horrible.. but the down side, it kills all bugs- our lighting bugs too. sad i know, but i hate ticks crawling on me worse..

Flushing doesnt kill them, just relocates them.. they need to be smashed or burned.. Gross I know.. i keep old tweezers handy, works great for removing and killing..

btiny36 05-24-2012 06:18 AM

I live in Southern Saskatchewan Canada and wow you aren't kidding, there are thousands upon thousands this year. They are even in summer follow fields, which is crazy....We have a dog and we shaved her right down so we can easily see them on her...Of course she has been treated for ticks/fleas ect., but wow is all I can say. I hope they will soon be gone or less of them, don't know how long they hang around...and yes they are saying there is many more this year because of the mild winter we had.....

ptquilts 05-24-2012 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt (Post 5239631)
ugh.. i HATE them... we live out int he country and every year- if i see one- to me its bad.. We have to put granules all over surrounding the house or they are horrible.. but the down side, it kills all bugs- our lighting bugs too. sad i know, but i hate ticks crawling on me worse..

Flushing doesnt kill them, just relocates them.. they need to be smashed or burned.. Gross I know.. i keep old tweezers handy, works great for removing and killing..

I have tried smashing them but it seems they are so hard. Sometimes I even cut them in half with my sewing scissors but both halves seem to be still alive. I don't believe they can get out of my septic system but who knows, maybe I will have a colony of super water-proof ticks in there. Ugh!!

SouthPStitches 05-24-2012 07:19 AM

Several weeks ago after showering, my husband found a tick on his upper, inner thigh. He had been out spring turkey hunting in central NY, fully clothed in hunting pants and long underwear. He should have been well protected with the clothing but the tick still got through.

Maybe I should wrestle hubby to the ground and put a dose of Advantix between his shoulders!!!!!

barbsr 05-24-2012 07:23 AM

I heard ticks would be bad this year because most of us did not have a real cold winter.

jillnjo 05-24-2012 07:31 AM

We know a man in AR that is fighting Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever from a tick bite. He found the tick and got it off before it had attached, but it had apparently bitten him. He is very sick as it is a very painful disease that must be treated quickly. Take care everyone. I read that only 1 in 1000 ticks carry the disease.

MaryMo 05-24-2012 07:34 AM

I can see it now ... cutting ticks with scissors and ticks multiplying everywhere, eventually taking over the world ...
Ticks are not my favorite insect, don't see any purpose for them.

ptquilts 05-24-2012 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by jillnjo (Post 5239846)
We know a man in AR that is fighting Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever from a tick bite. He found the tick and got it off before it had attached, but it had apparently bitten him. He is very sick as it is a very painful disease that must be treated quickly. Take care everyone. I read that only 1 in 1000 ticks carry the disease.

In our area it is Lyme disease, also very bad. Two family members have it.

jad1044 05-24-2012 08:26 AM

If you can pull the head off the tick - regardless of how you do it - it kills them; just need the head off! I have picked off 2 tiniest little ticks ever seen - htey look like if you scratch off a scab and it has the black spot very small in size and believe it or not - it is a baby tick; not even the size of a pin head... not good... I constantly check myself after having been outside, but yes, i've had them on me after a shower - fresh clothes, and the works too - so ????? this is a super bad year - we all need to take special care...