Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Serge before you bind? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/serge-before-you-bind-t190629.html)

Monika 06-02-2012 09:28 AM

Serge before you bind?

I am wondering if those of you that have sergers use them on your quilts before you sew the binding on. I saw someone on the web (I'm sorry I have since forgotten who) serge the edges to flatten and trim THEN sewed on the binding as usual. I am tempted to try this but I am a serger newbie and somewhat nervous. After all the work on a quilt, I don't want to mess anything up at the end of that sometimes long road.

DebraK 06-02-2012 09:34 AM

sounds like unnecessary work to me, unless you're going to let it sit around for awhile before you bind.

bearisgray 06-02-2012 09:37 AM

I do - that way I get all three layers 'together' before I put the binding on.

Before I started to use the serger - I would stay-stitch the three layers together

Stay-stitching (as used here) is a row of stitching about 1/8 inch from the raw edges that gets covered by the biding and is left in the item

Peckish 06-02-2012 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK (Post 5260531)
sounds like unnecessary work to me, unless you're going to let it sit around for awhile before you bind.

Ditto. I have a serger and did this once. I didn't really think it helped or added to the quilt any. A lot of longarmers will request that you NOT serge the edges, also.

DebraK 06-02-2012 09:54 AM

sounds like a case of whatever works best for you ;-)

Candace 06-02-2012 11:11 AM

I like to square up my quilt and cut it with my rotary cutter so that's perfectly square, before putting on the binding. I don't see how you could use the serger to cut it and get it square so it hangs just right.

merrylouw 06-02-2012 11:13 AM

I've heard and read about doing this, and think I'll try it on the baby quilt I'm working on, now. First, tho, I'm going to serge around a piece I did to practice FMQ on. Better safe than sorry!

Stitchnripper 06-02-2012 11:59 AM

I just got a serger, so, will try this with a practice piece and see if it makes a difference to me.

huntannette 06-02-2012 12:08 PM

I always do before I put binding on....works like a charm and takes only a few minutes.....i don`t serge before I send it to a longarmer...only after it is quilted.....I love this technique and makes it easier to sew the binding on....

qbquilts 06-02-2012 12:09 PM

I've heard that it's supposed to give you a crisper edge when applying your binding, but I've only done a little bit of serging and I'm not confidant of my serging abilities that I could feed the quilt through accurately - I'm worried I'd slice off too much of the edge.

I do sometimes use my machine and my overcast stitch if the border had a lot of seams along the outside edge. I also find that using my iron when I bind works great. After stitching on the binding, I press the binding out (so you're getting a good fold at the seam line). Then I fold the binding over to the back (or front, if doing my faux piped binding technique) and press so that the edge gets a good fold. I find doing this helps me better sew the binding down, whether doing so by hand or machine.