Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Where to start with Jelly Rolls (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/where-start-jelly-rolls-t192459.html)

mommasewslove 06-22-2012 03:17 AM

Where to start with Jelly Rolls

Hi I have seen so many of these rolls Can you believe Ive never bought one! How do I start on using these mystery rolls? What patterns would make nice quilts? Id love to see some pictures of quilts made from Quilting Board Members, please share. Thank You. And by the way my 2140 quilters table by horn is awesome. Remember I got it from craigslist for $150.00 Its sweet!

Elaray 06-22-2012 04:43 AM

If it weren't for jelly rolls and other pre-cuts, I probably would never have started quilting. I'm a newbie and I've only made three quilts so far. Two of those quilts were made with pre-cuts. I'm very interested is seeing the quilts made by Quilting Board Members. I just bought "Jelly Roll Quilts" by Pam & Nicky Lintott and it has several patterns I'd like to use.

DonnaC 06-22-2012 05:59 AM

I agree with Elaray about the Pam & Nicky Lintott books... they actually have several different books out, and all of them have very nice designs made with Jelly Rolls. Actually, if you go to Connecting Threads' website, you can sneak a peek inside the books to see if the designs are to your liking. I'm in the process of making a quilt from their first book (simply called "Jelly Roll Quilts"); the design is "Bars of Gold" and it's very simple. I have also done a Jelly Roll Race quilt which is as yet unfinished... of course (LOL).

rrhaigh 06-22-2012 06:16 AM

Yes, there are lots of books and even free quilt patterns on-line using jelly rolls. So many options out there just waiting for you! Have fun. My favorite on I made from jelly rolls was with batiks. Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of it before I gave it to my son last Christmas. It was from the book called "Batiks, Inspired by Bali" by Suzannne McNeill. The pattern is caled Emerald Forest. I got so many compliments on that quilt and it was easy to put together. Here is a link that show the quilt from the book. Have fun looking for a pattern - that is half the fun!

rrhaigh 06-22-2012 06:17 AM

O

Originally Posted by rrhaigh (Post 5308134)
Yes, there are lots of books and even free quilt patterns on-line using jelly rolls. So many options out there just waiting for you! Have fun. My favorite on I made from jelly rolls was with batiks. Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of it before I gave it to my son last Christmas. It was from the book called "Batiks, Inspired by Bali" by Suzannne McNeill. The pattern is caled Emerald Forest. I got so many compliments on that quilt and it was easy to put together. Here is a link that show the quilt from the book. Have fun looking for a pattern - that is half the fun!

http://www.handsontradition.com/item...ald-Forest.htm
Oops, forgot to add the link. Here it is.

quiltsRfun 06-22-2012 06:22 AM

Missouri Star Quilt Company has lots of tutorials for jelly rolls. Also Moda Bake Shop. Check out their websites.

burchquilts 06-22-2012 07:17 AM

I agree with going to the Moda Bake Shop. There also is a pattern for the Jelly Roll Race pattern here on the board. And plenty of pictures of them in the picture gallery. Warning, tho, quilts made from these pre-cuts ARE addictive!

tiptrinket 06-22-2012 10:21 AM

It's also fun to make purses out of jelly rolls. Or checkerboard quilts. (sewing into stips, then cutting and sewing back together into blocks)

MadQuilter 06-22-2012 11:41 AM

I did 2 using the lasagne pattern and one using the tube method (as instructed by the Missouri Star tutorial) I use two strip-sets of jelly stripes in alternating colors. THE ONLY THING I do not like is that the bias edges are on the sides and I must be careful when handling these tube squares. BUT they sewed together SO QUICKLY. Sorry, no pics yet.

TexasSunshine 06-22-2012 11:43 AM

Susanne McNeil has several good books on jelly rolls and precuts. There is a new course on Craftsy with Kimberly Einmo using jelly rolls and precuts and she has several books out. I plan to buy her books. Of course MSQCo is one of my favs.