Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Donation quilting pieces (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/donation-quilting-pieces-t194033.html)

sdeaaz 07-08-2012 07:00 PM

Donation quilting pieces

I have donated table runners and small wall hangings several times to our local church auctions and today a red,white, and blue runner to a charity auction.

I am always disappointed. They never bring very much, sometimes not even what the material is worth.

I do small projects, and I think they are quilted well, everyone always compliments my work.... the color choices are usually pretty good.... just discouraged.... and feeling blue. Hoped they would be worth more.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Tartan 07-08-2012 07:06 PM

Unfortunately you are not alone. Lots of times auction or donated items do not get what they are worth. When I am asked to donate something, I usually say that I will give a cash donation instead. I figure it's less expensive to give $ than to spend lots of money on material, all the work that goes into making it and be disappointed in the end.

barny 07-08-2012 07:13 PM

I agree with Tartan. People don't realize what it takes to actually make something, or the work and emotion that goes into it. Next time give money and keep your goodies. People usually want something for nothing.

Julie R 07-08-2012 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by barny (Post 5349658)
I agree with Tartan. People don't realize what it takes to actually make something, or the work and emotion that goes into it. Next time give money and keep your goodies. People usually want something for nothing.

Unfortunately that is so true!! Many people are looking to get "a deal" instead of remembering that charity auctions are supposed to make money.

Pat625 07-08-2012 07:24 PM

I donated a full size hand quilted quilt for a school function auction..It sold for $55!! A lap quilt I gave to the same auction went for the same price..It broke my heart, but I learned a valuable lesson...make small cheaper items and they will get the same money for it!!

Krisb 07-08-2012 07:28 PM

The only time that an item I donated went for more than the costs of materials involved a generous amount of lubrication for the bidders. Now, if I were famous, perhaps....

Scissor Queen 07-08-2012 07:31 PM

Go to Wal-Mart or Target and look at the prices on table linens and bed linens. That's the price people expect to pay.

jaspersu 07-08-2012 07:53 PM

This is where a better organized auction would have a minimum bid set at a reasonable amount, depending on what the items are.

Holice 07-08-2012 07:59 PM

I no long donate such. The last time I worked on two small Christmas wall hangings and instead of going into the silent bid they were given as door prizes. I called the group leader and protested that they had been missused. I no longer give to this or other organization unless I don't care how they are sold and what they sell for (which is not often) Bidders are always looking for the basket of wine and cheese.

audsgirl 07-08-2012 08:05 PM

I've only donated 1 quilt to a fund-raiser. It didn't create much buzz (partly because it was folded into about a 1 foot square to fit on the table.) I ended up buying it back, so I paid for it twice!