Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Inherited someone's stash tonight, but... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/inherited-someones-stash-tonight-but-t198212.html)

MamaO2011 08-20-2012 04:51 PM

Inherited someone's stash tonight, but...

So, my sister-in-law text me tonight, wanting to know if I wanted her mother-in-law's mom's stash of fabrics, lace, threads and various other sewing/craft items. I said I would love it, so they dropped off the first dozen boxes tonight, mostly filled with fabric. And I hear there is STILL a bedroom completely full of stuff headed my way. I'm in heaven....except that Grandma Verna smokes like a chimney, and has for her entire life. Which means, this stash STINKS of smoke. Any secret to getting the stink out? I'm going to wash everything, but I know sometimes, that's not enough.

Teacup 08-20-2012 04:55 PM

DD's apt. building had a fire that burnt them out of their apartment. We did rescue a few things from the nursery they were setting up. Fire chief told us to add regular cleaning ammonia to the washing machine, and it did remove the odor. Not sure about tobacco smoke, but it dealt with the house fire smoke.

EasyPeezy 08-20-2012 05:01 PM

Add a cup of vinegar to the wash.

DeniseP 08-20-2012 05:17 PM

Borax is also a natural deodorizer. It's in the laundry aisle called 20 Mule Team Borax. It's only about $3.50 a box and it works really well. I used it for years on cloth diapers. I used it in the diaper pail as well and 18 years later my cloth diapers are still white!

QuiltnLady1 08-20-2012 05:17 PM

I would add 1 cup of vinegar to the wash cycle and 1 cup to the rinse cycle.

wordpaintervs 08-20-2012 05:21 PM

what great ideas. I'll keep that for another resouces.

MamaO2011 08-20-2012 05:42 PM

I use vinegar to make my own household cleaner, and have some on hand, so I will start with that! Thanks ladies!

BellaBoo 08-20-2012 06:03 PM

Keep the fabric out of the house until you have a chance to wash it. The stink will stay in the house for a long time. A lady gave me several bags of nice cotton fabric and I put the bags in my car trunk thinking the cigarette smell would be contained until I could wash it all. It was contained all in my car. It was many weeks before the cigarette smell left my car. I won't take fabric that has cigarette smoke in it. It's not worth it to me.

moonwork42029 08-20-2012 06:04 PM

[QUOTE=DeniseP;5455355]Borax is also a natural deodorizer. It's in the laundry aisle called 20 Mule Team Borax. It's only about $3.50 a box and it works really well. I used it for years on cloth diapers. I used it in the diaper pail as well and 18 years later my cloth diapers are still white![/

LOL.... gosh Denise, I hope you aren't still having to use those same diapers for 18 years!

Barb in Louisiana 08-20-2012 06:31 PM

Odoban, available at Home Depot, is an odor eater and does not take the color out of your fabric. It especially likes to eat cigarette smoke odor.