Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   help with fabric! please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-fabric-please-t203384.html)

mbailey 10-16-2012 11:57 AM

help with fabric! please

Hi my name is mary ive been lerking around ont this board for awhile now reading and looking and learning. i need help. i am wanting to make some lap quilts some for vet headed on the honor flight. but most inportantly i and going to make project linus quilts for childern fight for there lives in hospital, an for nursing home patient. ok here the quiestion i was given alot of polyestor fabric i mean alot. can u make lap quilts from this material, would you use a batting for the middle or not, i just dont know what to do. i wouldnt use it for the little ones but if it can be done for the vets and nursing homes. i sure would love you opin on this if its a no its in the trash unless i ca give it to someone else.
Thank You
Mary Bailey

GrannieAnnie 10-16-2012 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by mbailey (Post 5590215)
Hi my name is mary ive been lerking around ont this board for awhile now reading and looking and learning. i need help. i am wanting to make some lap quilts some for vet headed on the honor flight. but most inportantly i and going to make project linus quilts for childern fight for there lives in hospital, an for nursing home patient. ok here the quiestion i was given alot of polyestor fabric i mean alot. can u make lap quilts from this material, would you use a batting for the middle or not, i just dont know what to do. i wouldnt use it for the little ones but if it can be done for the vets and nursing homes. i sure would love you opin on this if its a no its in the trash unless i ca give it to someone else.
Thank You
Mary Bailey

I'd use cotton or a cotton blend for the top and some sort of batting, maybe even just a heavy flannel. Use the poly for the backing. But you may not be able to use the poly for certain organizations. In that case, make them to suit yourself and donate locally to a hospital or nursing home.

Gramie bj 10-16-2012 12:09 PM

Do not trash it. Yes you can quilt with it just make sure your weights are, if not the same then close. I have had one of my double knit polyestor quilts for over 30 years and it is still warm and bright. I do need to put on a new backing, this poor quilt is well loved and used in the house, on the lawn, camping, makes a great tent for the grands, there parents remember using it for the same thing.LOL I do tye my poly quilts and yes I use batting. good luck and enjoy.

Lori S 10-16-2012 12:10 PM

What ever organization you intent to donate to .. check there requirements in advance. Some are very particular as to size, fabrics , type of quilting etc.
Most nursing homes are not as fussy as project linus or quilts of valor. In addition, homeless shelters will take quilts made from poly and many infact prefer them as they are warmer than cotton. Depending on the weight of the poly , would depend then on if I used a batting or not. Many of the old double knits need no batting, especially if you use them for backing as well.

Mariposa 10-16-2012 12:14 PM

Do ask the organizations. I personally wouldn't use it, as I have bad reactions to it-like allergy syptoms.

quiltstringz 10-16-2012 12:19 PM

Do ask the organizations if they will accept polyester. I think for nursing homes it would be great. I know that some groups make polyester quilts for the local police and fire departments. Have heard that since it is polyester it doesn't stain as easily and when it does the stains come out easier.

GrannieAnnie 10-16-2012 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj (Post 5590234)
Do not trash it. Yes you can quilt with it just make sure your weights are, if not the same then close. I have had one of my double knit polyestor quilts for over 30 years and it is still warm and bright. I do need to put on a new backing, this poor quilt is well loved and used in the house, on the lawn, camping, makes a great tent for the grands, there parents remember using it for the same thing.LOL I do tye my poly quilts and yes I use batting. good luck and enjoy.

I use the heavier poly often for a baby quilt backings that will be floor quilts---------------or for dog blankets.