Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need CHAIR for sewing table ... what do YOU use??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-chair-sewing-table-what-do-you-use-t204019.html)

jj1150 10-23-2012 07:24 AM

Need CHAIR for sewing table ... what do YOU use???

I am getting soooo close to my new sewing room becoming a reality (FINALLY) .... should be able to make that happen in a week or so :)

But I will need a chair for my sewing table (previously, I've used my dining room table). And I saw at Marshalls a great little desk-type chair with swivel wheels. And, OMG, it's sooo cute, Red (or Black) and the whole thing looks like it's done in one-layer of comfy leather (real or not!!).

And so, I thought, THAT would be a great sewing chair (and cute too); and then I got to thinking ...
do most of you use a SWIVEL CHAIR for sewing or just a simple STRAIGHT BACK CHAIR??? I have to admit, I've never used a swivel chair for my sewing, and don't know if I would like it or not. Would it be hard to sew with a hair that moves???

So, what does everyone use??? All opinions greatly appreciated!!!

jody

crafty pat 10-23-2012 07:31 AM

I use a swivel chair and would hate anything else. The way my work area is set up I can roll around or swivel around to reach things without getting up. Be sure to show us your room when it is all set up.

MamaBear61 10-23-2012 07:35 AM

I have also always used an office style swivel chair. I wouldn't like not having it. The only thing that you might want to try is whether or not you want one with arms. Personally I don't like having arms on my chair but others might have a different opinion about that.

thimblebug6000 10-23-2012 07:38 AM

I bought myself the best office swivel chair with arms that I could afford at that time. It is wider than the secretarial type chair that has no arms. Mine is cloth which isn't the greatest thing for the threads but I really love it. When I go on retreat I just take the arms off as it's easier to fit into the car without the arms.

I see mamabear and I were posting at the same time. At first I found the arms got in my way, but then realized the chair swivels, so swivel it before standing up and love it now. I keep a pillow case attached to the one arm for scraps and when that's full I make a pet bed out of it.

quilt addict 10-23-2012 07:45 AM

I use a swivel chair with my electric machines. I find that it doesn't work well with the treadle. The thing I like about the office type chairs is the ability to change the height of the chair.

susie-susie-susie 10-23-2012 07:49 AM

I use an office chair that swivels and can be raised and lowered. I love it and the fact that it swivels is an added bonus not a hindrance.
Sue

Deborahlees 10-23-2012 07:51 AM

I use a swivel office chair I got from Staples, love it, I also have hardwood floors so I can scoot all over the room. I have found when I am quilting that a high stool works better for me so I can look down on my work and my arms and shoulders don't get near as tense as before. (Different machine and different table)

nygal 10-23-2012 07:52 AM

I use a swivel, leather office chair and I love it.

crafterrn1 10-23-2012 07:58 AM

I went to a local store that sells sewing machines, tables and chairs. I purchased a special sewing chair. I am so happy I did. It has 6 different adjustments. I am always comfortable whether piecing or quilting! Luann in CT

Jingle 10-23-2012 08:14 AM

I may try an office chair without arms. I have tried 2 with arms and didn't like them. Now I use a stool and put my foot pedal on a 1x6" piece of board. My back and right leg does hurt if I sew a couple hours. I really don't think this set up is helping me out. I have to sit in the doorway and a smaller chair may help.