Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   1970s music (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/1970s-music-t204086.html)

Prissnboot 10-24-2012 03:54 AM

1970s music

What would be your favorite best and worst song(s) of the 1970s? I'm talking about music that just defines the era for you - the tunes that when you hear them, they take you back to where you were, how you were dressed, and what you were smokin (ha!) when you first heard it. My taste in music is really eclectic, so please differentiate between the good, bad, or ugly, as I'm apt to like it all!

I'm doing a mix cd for work - we're dressing 1970s for Halloween. I will name the CD "1970s - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly".

I'm making a sock puppet out of a knee high stocking - it will look like Cher. I'm getting a cheesy mustache and I'll be going as Sonny and Cher Energy! I see a really bad ventriloquist act in my future.....but it'll be fun! Yes, I know, Sonny & Cher were more of a 60s thing, but you couldn't have the 70s without the 60s right? And that's when their tv show was on too.

And I thought a mix cd would be fun as well.

So....songs? Ideas? So far I'm thinking:

I Will Survive (good or ugly, depends on what time of the month it is!)
Disco Duck (really ugly)
YMCA (GREAT)
American Pie (good)
Afternoon Delight
Rapper's Delite (ugly)
Play That Funky Music (I double dog DARE you not to shake your booty to this one!)
Shake your booty (good)
Stayin Alive (good)
Grease (good)
Theme from Jaws (GREAT)
Da Doo Run Run by Shaun Cassidy (cuz he was my first celebrity crush, but hey, I was 9 and it was the 70s)
Muskrat Love (ugly)

And NO CHEATING from internet searches....because most of the above came from one!

Can't wait to hear your ideas.....

Thanks,
Gina

janRN 10-24-2012 04:41 AM

I love (and constantly play) anything by The Eagles. Your party sounds like lots of fun!!

Jingle 10-24-2012 05:10 AM

I like all the songs you listed and I like about anything music from Big Bands to some today. Anything song really that has a good sound, beat, etc. In the truck we listen to an oldies station playing mostly 70s-80s. I'm 67.

CarolMcB 10-24-2012 06:50 AM

You don't have anything from "The Urban Cowboy" and you're from Houston. LOL. How about "Looking for Love in all the Wrong Places" by Johnny Lee. good

funcupl 10-24-2012 06:52 AM

Cherish by the Association....love that one. Or any of the Rightous Brothers songs....Reminds me of my dating years. Isn't it funny how some songs just bring back memories of what you were doing at that time in your life?
Claudia

willferg 10-24-2012 07:06 AM

What a cool idea!

Hey, Won't You Play Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song, BJ Thomas
Smokin' in the Boys Room, Brownsville Station
Love Will Keep us Together, Captain & Tennille
Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves, Cher
Brandy (You're a Fine Girl), Looking Glass
Escape - the Pina Colada Song, Rupert Holmes
Little Willy, Sweet

I could go on and on. Can't wait to see your final list!

Neesie 10-24-2012 07:17 AM

Let It Be, by the Beatles
At Seventeen, by Janis Ian
anything by Grass Roots, Eagles, Billy Joel, Carol King . . . .

TShooters 10-24-2012 07:33 AM

Joy to the World - Three Dog Night (good)
Brand New Key - Melanie (fun)
Maybe I'm Amazed - McCartney (romantic)
Any thing by Chicago
What a fun project. Have a great time. :)

Diannia 10-24-2012 07:37 AM

Bee Gees! and Eric something or other...I can't remember his last name...

Diannia

Peckish 10-24-2012 08:13 AM

Blinded By The Light, Manfred Mann