Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What features do you actually use on your sewing machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-features-do-you-actually-use-your-sewing-machine-t20538.html)

bearisgray 05-25-2009 08:48 AM

I was reading some discusions about sewing machines today.

That made me ponder about what features I actually USE when I'm sewing

Straight stitch - I hardly every back stitch, but it's nice to have

Walking foot (Pfaff) - but my old Bernina fed the fabric well, too

Self-adjust tension

Needle down

Reverse pattern (mirror image)

Regular presser foot, and the zipper foot. I finally learned how to use the marker/quide for grid quilting a couple of years ago.

The little marks on the throat plate for seam allowances.

Zig-zag, multiple step zig-zag, blind-hem stitch

Adjustable needle position

Needle threader (very nice to have)

There is a thread cutter on the Pfaff, but I usually use scissors to cut the threads

Marcia 05-25-2009 09:07 AM

I have a Bernina and one of my favorite things about it is the knee lifter that lifts and lowers the presser foot. It frees both hands to hold fabric.

Shemjo 05-25-2009 09:16 AM

I am learning how to use the Free motion foot, so I found out how to lower the feed dogs!
I love the warning that my bobbin is nearing empty.
And all those you listed, especially my quarter inch foot!
So I like the quick change feature for different feet, click in or out!
I know there are more, but my brain hasn't kicked in yet today! :?

MadQuilter 05-25-2009 10:01 AM

In addition to what's been mentioned, I use the 1/4" foot for quilting seams and the stitch-in-the-ditch foot for well, you know....

I like the stitch length adjustment feature on my Pfaff and the needle position adjustment feature.

There are also some nice decorative stitches.

Moonpi 05-25-2009 10:30 AM

I find it easier to say what I don't use - the buttonhole stuff. If I had a thousand decorative stitches, I'd find a way to use them all!

carrieg 05-25-2009 11:44 AM

I have the knee lifter, but don't use it. I love the needle up/down, auto threader and auto cutter. I like the speed adjustment. I have the on/off button I can use in place of the foot pedal, but rarely use that too.

I had to use my button-hole thingee recently.... I had to darn some rips in DH's work clothes! LOL Works great for that!

sewjoyce 05-25-2009 02:59 PM

OK, I have 2 Berninas. My 200 I mainly use for embroidery and my 440QE for everything else including quilting. The 200 has a really nice bobbin winder but the thing is so slow it drives me to distraction. So I use my 440 to wind bobbins for both machines... :oops: :oops:

BellaBoo 05-25-2009 03:11 PM

I use my Featherweight for 99% of my piecing and there are no features at all on these machine. Straight stitch and reverse is all you get. I love it.

mimisharon 05-25-2009 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
I find it easier to say what I don't use - the buttonhole stuff. If I had a thousand decorative stitches, I'd find a way to use them all!

Oh, yeah, me too. I do use the zipper foot occasionally for getting in tight on a raggy purse or something but the buttonhole stuff only if I'm putting a closure on a bag. I did the girls dresses last month and put the zippers in but that's so easy I could almost do it in my sleep. lol

I love the decorative stitches on some of my kid quilts and all. Sure hope the man is able to fix my Singer with all those wonderful stitches.

littlehud 05-25-2009 06:20 PM

I don't sure my buttonhole feature either. It I made clothing maybe I would.