Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   table runners...question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/table-runners-question-t207921.html)

tapper 12-08-2012 07:09 AM

table runners...question

Hi.

A few weeks ago I asked for ideas for table runner patterns.
I was pleased with the replies.

I now have a few runner tops made. My question is should I use batting? If yes, then what type?
It would seem that batting would make the runner a bit 'bumpy' and I don't think I'd want that. But I'd like some body to them.
What do you do?

cjackaitlin 12-08-2012 07:12 AM

I use regular batting. When you quilt them even SID they will lay flat. It doesn't add bulk to the runner.

erstan947 12-08-2012 07:14 AM

I have not used batting on some table runners and used a very thin batting on others. You might try making one of each and see what you like best....be sure to show us your results:)

patchsamkim 12-08-2012 07:46 AM

I use a thin batting in the table runners I make. You could also use a layer of flannel if you want. I like having something for filling.

minstrel 12-08-2012 08:01 AM

I always use batting in my table runners. I use Warm and Natural and when quilted, it lays nice and flat. I wouldn't use poly batting though.

Bataplai 12-08-2012 08:08 AM

I use warm and natural batting in my table runners. I don't have any troubles with it laying flat. Looking forward to pictures!

BellaBoo 12-08-2012 09:38 AM

I use fusible med to heavy wt. interfacing to back the top and then a layer of batting. This gives the topper a more polished professional look.

huntannette 12-08-2012 10:00 AM

I used regular batting on mine and what I did when I washed them was iron them wet out of the washer instead of drying them....thy are perfect!!!

Originally Posted by tapper (Post 5705933)
Hi.

A few weeks ago I asked for ideas for table runner patterns.
I was pleased with the replies.

I now have a few runner tops made. My question is should I use batting? If yes, then what type?
It would seem that batting would make the runner a bit 'bumpy' and I don't think I'd want that. But I'd like some body to them.
What do you do?

Lori S 12-08-2012 10:04 AM

I use Warm and Natural in my runners... but pre - shrink it ! I like the crinkle look for quilts.. not on table runners. Table runners I want flat!

DogHouseMom 12-08-2012 10:20 AM

I think it depends on what you intend to do with the finished product.

Do you plan on putting a small based vase of flowers on it - the small base combined with the flowers on the top would make it less stable so I would opt for no batting.

Do you plan on putting a large based bowl of fruit on it? If this is the case I would opt for batting because it will protect your table top from getting dented from the edge of the bowl when placing it down on the table.

If you want both protection and flatness ... you can use batting and just quilt it heavier.