Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rag quilt and accuquilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rag-quilt-accuquilt-t210240.html)

gump51 01-06-2013 07:43 AM

Rag quilt and accuquilt

Good morning! Let me start out by saying I love my Accuquilt. It's the best of both worlds as far as I'm concerned. I enjoy cutting out quilts and seeing all the before pieces and then the final project. I have made rag quilts before and was anxious to try the rag die and save my arthritic hands from hours of cutting. The problem I'm having it turning it with this die. I have even tried just doing one layer of flannel and still can barely turn it. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a breaking in period? Could it be the die? Any thoughts and/or suggestions would be so appreciated as "baby" for whom I'm making this quilt is only 5 weeks away!!

Thanks so much!

Barbara Antman 01-06-2013 08:02 AM

I have made afew rag quilts with the accuquilt die and have had no problems. You might want to contact the Accuquilt Customer Support. They do have very good custome service, I to suffer from arthritic hands, with a tad of shaking, so it is hard to cut anything. I just wish the dies were less expensive.

mighty 01-06-2013 08:30 AM

I also love my accuquilt, have never had this problem. I agree contact customer support.

PaperPrincess 01-06-2013 09:35 AM

You don't mention which machine you have, but the rag dies have a lot of work to do. My first suggestion is a single layer, which you have already tried. Next, make sure that the cutting blades for the square you are cutting are going into the machine on an angle. Some dies blades are already laid out on the die backing at an angle, some aren't. If you have the Baby, you might not have a lot of room to manoever it. Also, how old is your cutting mat? Sometimes a new mat is harder to cut with.

gump51 01-06-2013 09:50 AM

Brand new mat, Accuquilt Go and the arrangement of the die is already angled. It's got me stumped!!! Use the same fabric with a different die....no problem. Cuts smoothly and without much effort.

PaperPrincess 01-06-2013 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by gump51 (Post 5766673)
Brand new mat, Accuquilt Go and the arrangement of the die is already angled. It's got me stumped!!! Use the same fabric with a different die....no problem. Cuts smoothly and without much effort.

Then I agree with the other posters. Contact Accuquilt, the blades may not be fully seated in the plastic base, making the die a bit tall. I've been dealing with Accucut for almost 20 years and have had stranger things happen with them, but they have always been great at correcting the problem. Until you get a reply from them, see if you can angle the die to go thru with the cut square at 45 degrees, so a point of the square goes thru first & try a used pad, which is thinner than a new one. Might need to put a piece of copy paper between the fabric & pad for a clean cut.

kat112000 01-06-2013 10:52 AM

Might need a new die, I just finished a rag quilt and cut four layers without a problem.

carolaug 01-06-2013 11:04 AM

I have that die also...no problems with it...love that die.

dash2000lbs 01-06-2013 12:07 PM

I have that die Nd am going to have to try ....

jskbloomers 01-07-2013 12:18 PM

I always send my die through at an angle and have really not had a problem. I do have to clean the blades quite often with the pick.