Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Open pressed seams (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/open-pressed-seams-t211101.html)

carolaug 01-16-2013 03:52 AM

Open pressed seams

I love tumbler quilts..I do a pretty good job matching the seams but sometimes a few get off a bit and I find its normally caused by the think seams when sewing the rows together. I decided to try ironning my seams open...WOW what a difference....My seams look great and not lumps. Not only do the seams line up prefectly...it also will be alot easier to FMQ less bulk. So why do we iron the seams to the side instead of open seams??? I also sew my strips twice...once each way. I find its a great way to see if I sewed a piece a bit off....and its prevents waves.

mimiknoxtaylor 01-16-2013 04:03 AM

I've begun opening my seams also. We had a speaker @ guild not long ago who is a "professional" LAQ and she quilts 30-40 quilts per month. One of her requirements is that the seams have to be open, says too many broken needles when they're not.
if seams are hand sewn they do need to be pressed to either side for strength. But machine sewn, it's more personal preference.

patchsamkim 01-16-2013 04:05 AM

Most of the time I do press my seams to one side..but I have also had times when it will work better to press seams open and it works well...and yes, it does reduce the bulk and help with FMQ. I think the pressing to one side is helpful when you want to "butt" seams together.

Do wonder why you sew your strips twice? Doesn't that add more bulk to the seam? Wouldn't that be harder to press open?

zennia 01-16-2013 04:38 AM

We had a longarmer come to our guild and she said to always press the seams open. I like to hand quilt so I had been pressing them open for a long time but thought I was wrong--guess not.

Suzette316 01-16-2013 04:38 AM

I've been quilting for about fifteen years now and up until about a month ago, I almost always pressed my seams to one side. Then out of the blue, I just decided to start pressing them open - wow! I have noticed such a difference in my precision. It's not that it was bad before, but it's definitely better with pressed open seams! :) Also, I find FMQ to be much easier with open seams.

I don't personally see the need to double stitch strips, but you do what works for you Carol. :):)

JulieR 01-16-2013 04:49 AM

Confession: I've tried several times to press my seams open, and it always ends in burnt fingers and frustration. What am I doing wrong? I've watched people do it online before but my seams just don't ever seem to want to open.

lfletcher 01-16-2013 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by mimiknoxtaylor (Post 5789693)
I've begun opening my seams also. We had a speaker @ guild not long ago who is a "professional" LAQ and she quilts 30-40 quilts per month. One of her requirements is that the seams have to be open, says too many broken needles when they're not.
if seams are hand sewn they do need to be pressed to either side for strength. But machine sewn, it's more personal preference.

This surprised me. I am also a LAQ and if you need to SID, the seams are better pressed to one side. If you press them open, then the SID is just sewing across thread & not fabric on the top. If you are doing an overall, it probably doesn't matter. I actually have never had a problem with needles breaking.

maminstl 01-16-2013 05:26 AM

Hi Julie - I know exactly what you are talking about. You have to finger press the seam open first, then you can lay the iron right on top of it.

Tartan 01-16-2013 05:36 AM

​I usually press to one side unless there are a lot of seams meeting in one spot. I have clipped a thread doing SITD with my sewing machine needle. Not the end of the world but I did have to hand sew the two pieces back together with a ladder stitch. Do what works or you there are no quilt police here.

nhweaver 01-16-2013 05:56 AM

I have begun to press seams open when doing pinwheel (or variation) what a difference. My next quilt project I will try to press all seams open and see how it goes. I will finger press open, I am tired of hot fingers (warm heart).