Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tp for matching points and seams perfectly (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tp-matching-points-seams-perfectly-t211590.html)

feffertim 01-21-2013 08:51 AM

Tp for matching points and seams perfectly

I saw this tip here recently and tried it yesterday and was very happy with the results. I was joining two halves of a large quilt together so there were many seams and many many points to match, always a nightmare for me. After I pinned the pieces together, I sewed just a few stitches on either side of the seam or point, cut the thread and moved to the next seam. Did this all across the quilt. All my points were very accurate, and if one is off a little bit, you only have to take out a few stitches and re sew it. Then I went back and joined the pieces between the seams. I think when sewing a long seam (i.e. when joining two halves of a quilt together) the fabric shifts and no matter how carefully you pin, it is hard to get a perfect match. This method made all my points perfect and made me very happy.

AngelinaMaria 01-21-2013 09:01 AM

That is an interesting idea. I will soon start joining my blocks together for my Omigosh quilt and there are 221 blocks in total and each block is a 9 patch so that is a LOT of seams to match. I may consider this method and give it a try. Thanks.

QuiltnNan 01-21-2013 09:20 AM

thanks for the great tip

NanaCsews2 01-21-2013 09:22 AM

As I stated in other posts, it helps to baste those point and side seam areas with a longer stitch length. If any points or seams are off, it is much easier to take out those stitches and is less stress on the fabric when using a length of 3.5 or so. When the seams and points match up to your liking, go back and change the stitch to your shorter desired length and sew the longer seams. In my experience sewing the points and side seams first, I find I can finish more quilts- faster and with less frustration because I am not taking out seams and re-doing blocks when the measurements are off or I am not happy with those wonky points. Along with measuring finished sections and blocks while sewing, it is one of the best tips I learned when I started quilting so long ago.

amandasgramma 01-21-2013 09:25 AM

Both hints are REALLY good! This is one of those (bonk on the head) "why didn't I think of this" moments!!!

mighty 01-21-2013 10:58 AM

Great tip, thanks!!!!

tesspug 01-21-2013 11:11 AM

This sounds like a very good idea, thanks.

LynnVT 01-21-2013 11:48 AM

Excellent! Thank you.

Jingle 01-21-2013 11:55 AM

Trying to remember all the tips I have read is very hard. Good tip.
Some glue the seams after matching up, just us the tip of iron to dry the glue.

LivelyLady 01-21-2013 12:15 PM

Wonderful tip! Definitely will use it on my next quilt as I, too, have always had a nightmare of a time trying to match up long seams.