Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Best for Slicing & Chopping Veges? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/best-slicing-chopping-veges-t212128.html)

CindyA 01-27-2013 06:09 AM

Best for Slicing & Chopping Veges?

I had an inexpensive food processor that recently broke. I'm considering a new purchase. I really want something that will help out with slicing, chopping, dicing veges. I also want something to shred cheese. I have a hand shredder for cheese, but it's tough on my hands. I'm also tired when I get home from work, yet want to be able to quickly prepare a nice dinner. Do you have a mandoline? I'm considering looking into high quality ones OR a high quality food processor. What do you have that works well for (primarily) vegetables?

Tartan 01-27-2013 06:24 AM

​I have a OXO mandolin and I love it for slicing vegetables. I use it for carrots, zucchini, potatoes fr scalloped potatoes etc. It makes slicing veg. for a stir fry really quick. I don't own a food processor because my kitchen is small and counter space is at a premium.

Freckles48 01-27-2013 06:25 AM

I was at Costco on a friend's advice last summer and found a Kitchen Aid food processor for $59. It works like a charm and has a large and small bowl option. If you can find one in that price range...go for it. Powerful motor.

CindyA 01-27-2013 02:26 PM

Oh, Tartan and Freckles 48, this is still a tough choice! Maybe I should get both, especially if I can get a Kitchen Aid for $59. :D

Tartan, is the mandolin easy enough on the hands? (If I'm cutting veges too long with just a regular knife my hands start hurting.)

Quilt-Till-U-Wilt 01-28-2013 05:20 AM

I have a tiny food processor. I'd like to have a larger one. How many attachments do they usually come with and which ones are necessary. I don't want to under buy but I also don't want to invest a lot of money.

sparkys_mom 01-28-2013 06:16 AM

For a mini-food processor/chopper (this won't help with slicing) I recently bought a Ninja that comes with six bowls. I thought the six bowls was overkill but I love this thing! It chops carrots, onions, garlic, you name it, evenly and I don't get "mush". Each bowl has a lid so if I chop onions I can use some of it, put the lid on, and put it in the fridge. The bowls stack so that is convenient, too. I bought mine at BJ's and haven't seen this particular combination anywhere else. I bought the version with the tall drink cups for smoothies last year and really like that, too, but it wasn't suitable for chopping veggies.

I think the secret on the even chopping is the two-level blade.

I've been wanting a mandoline so am glad to hear about the Oxo.

newestnana 01-28-2013 11:29 AM

I have a Vidalia chopper ("as seen on tv", although I never have) that you can get at Target. It's the best kitchen device I own. Comes with two size chopping blades. If you're looking for a low-cost item that is worth the space in your cupboard (few things are), check it out.

Bonnie 01-28-2013 12:06 PM

I love my food processor, but I also have an old slicer that works good for other things. I think that it kind of depends on what you want it to do. I use the slicer more for potatoes and corn off the cobb.

psailer 01-28-2013 12:49 PM

i have both a vidalia and a ninja use the ninja almost everyday it is quick and easy and dishwasher safe.. i buy bulk carrots, onions and celery and bell peppers and chop them up and freeze them in cup containers usually using my shrink wrap but then i dont have to cut them again to make my casseroles and soups and stews i love it.. i dont have an idea on the cheese i buy mine ready shredded from costco sorry...i love the clean up ease with the ninja and they are not expensive i think about $30.

violets4me123 01-28-2013 04:20 PM

I have a Cusinart 11 cup food processor. Have had it for over 22 years!!! Love it. Just purchased another one like it at Macy's for $88.00!!! Am thinking about giving my old one to my daughter in law. I do dough for flour tortillas, scones, etc. Love the slicing discs also, especially for cheese; shredding. Bought the new one in Nov-Dec 2012.