Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Shredding fabric.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/shredding-fabric-t212192.html)

diamondee 01-27-2013 02:43 PM

Shredding fabric....

:thumbdown: I ordered some quilting fabric online. I wont mention any names as I can not remember EXACTLY (but I have a guess) It's been sitting on my shelf folded up for about a year, I decided I was going to use it this past week. It has been shredding on the edges. Now this FEELS great, I thought it was GOOD fabric. Its shredding almost like a rayon fabric. I have loose threads all over while sewing. I'm wondering if I should just chuck this top I'm making or will it be ok once quilted? Any ideas?

PaperPrincess 01-27-2013 02:48 PM

Did you wash it first? Sometimes that will tighten up the weave. If it's really fraying, you might want to consider wider seams. If it's already cut, then I would use a smaller stitch length than usual and make sure that you quilt over all the seams, like maybe with a wavy line...

Tartan 01-27-2013 02:56 PM

As long as you still have a 1/4 seam allowance just trim off the strings without pulling on them. It should be fine once quilted.

Minerva1 01-27-2013 03:38 PM

I've noticed the last year or so more and more quilting fabrics ravel like crazy. These are from companies with good reputations and the fabrics feel just fine. I do believe they are starting to use a lesser thread count or looser weave to save money.

hopetoquilt 01-27-2013 05:58 PM

Worse case scenario, use it to practice FMQ or put it in a charity quilt for homeless where it doesn't need to be perfect.

mighty 01-27-2013 09:43 PM

I would con't. use a pretty sm stitch. As hopetoquilt mentioned you can free fmq and donate if you do not like it!!

petthefabric 01-27-2013 10:58 PM

The trouble I find with very ravely thread is the 1/4" seam allowance isn't big enough and they come apart over time. I'd use 1/2". If it's already cut, would fray check stop the raveling?

Is there any other problem with the fabric? Color fade or bleeding?

If it's #1 quality fabric, let the manufacturer know. They might not even realize the problem. If the manufacturer has a good reputation, they probably want to keep it and would probably want to correct the problem.

diamondee 01-28-2013 09:12 PM

I decided to go ahead and finish this project and quilt it within an inch of its life. If nothing else it will be the picnic quilt this summer. I am going to look and see who the manufacturer is though. Thank You All!

patricej 01-29-2013 02:44 AM

June Tailor [brand] Fray Block.

FrayCheck is another popular product.

i happen to prefer the JT brand because it's easier to apply.
i haven't done a cost comparison.

get a couple of tubes. apply to every seam.
adds a bit to the cost of the quilt but i am confident you wouldn't regret it.

DOTTYMO 01-29-2013 02:59 AM

I would startch the fabric it helps to hold on the threads. Try a light spray first if this doesn't work try a little more. Some of the quilters I know always startch before sewing anything because a well known quilter put this into classes. The startch is always by the irons in any class. .