Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you have a "GO" bag? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-have-go-bag-t213191.html)

buslady 02-07-2013 06:17 AM

Do you have a "GO" bag?

I heard the term on Criminal Minds a long time ago, and that is what I started calling the little suitcase I take with me on any trip longer than into town and back. It has all kinds of hand sewing stuff in it. Felt, scraps of fabric, notions, thread, needles.........
Mine is a cloth "Studio" bag I got at a street sale. It sits nicely on my lap in the car and has pockets to help keep everything organized. The rest of the stuff is in baggies, etc. I also keep it stocked with a variety of projects that just need hand work and embelishments, like needle cases and small bags, etc.
I am the type that needs to be busy. I cannot just ride in the car, so DH is used to my bag. I can even carry it in to places, stadiums, dr. offices, hospitals......
Am I odd? or is this something we all do? Curious minds want to know.

Tartan 02-07-2013 06:59 AM

I make up a bag when I have an appointment that I know I' m going to have to wait for. I usually bring my knitting or crochet.

luvstoquilt 02-07-2013 07:18 AM

Mine is in a small basket..was a small shopping bag until it fell all apart. I take that basket all over the place! We have a group that meets at the local library once a month called "Threads". It is growing by the month with quilters, knitters, crocheter, etc. It is so much fun and that was the start of my basket of work. Right now it is full of cross stitch squares but I have finished binding quilts there, applique, etc. all while enjoying the other ladies. I now even take it when I am picking up my grandkids at the bus stop after school.

QuiltnNan 02-07-2013 08:10 AM

i don't have a bag, but often put my current hand project in my purse when i know i'll have to be waiting.

nena 02-07-2013 08:13 AM

I keep a bag packed and handy. You would be surprised at how much you can get done setting in a doctors office or while traveling.

Quercus Rubra 02-07-2013 08:14 AM

I too have "Go" bags. When my fiancee at the time was dealing with brain cancer, I kept an overnight bag in the trunk and packed for a week at a time. Whenever he had a serve seizure we would be in the hospital no less than a week or more. I still keep a "go" packed 'cuz you just never know when you might need it.

I also have a craft "go" bag with some hand work in it. I have several different types of hand work to including redwork, hand piecing and applique that I can rotate out during any long term stay. I take it in the car all the time since it's about 45 minutes to a "big" town so I can get quite a bit done during the ride. So no... you are not odd in that aspect.

Tricia

Sunnye 02-07-2013 08:17 AM

I have two "go" bags.
I am a substitute teacher. Some days are jammed packed with children, some days I have 1 1/2 hours to wait. So...
One bag is rather large. In it are small scissors, thread, needles, ribbons, yarn, leather strips, small metal chains and charms,etc; anything I could use on my Stupendous Stitching items.
The second is small; containing a sketch book, pencil, sometimes a small book on hand stitching or something, sometimes scraps of material I'm working with at the time (and if I'm going to be with little ones that day, perhaps a book or two to read to them).

francie yuhas 02-07-2013 08:22 AM

I have a number of zip lock bags,each with needles,thread,little scissors,a bandaid,and a project. One is for embroidery,one for a Hawaian pillow top I'm hand quilting.

Mamaskeeto 02-07-2013 08:33 AM

I have a bag that contains my hand sewing stuff and I use a basket to carry my projects from place to place. I have two or three baskets going at a time so I just need to grab my sewing bags and a basket and off I go.

Grama Lehr 02-07-2013 08:38 AM

I have a go bag, I need something to do with my hands while I'm waiting, in a car or for an appointment. I also find its a good conversation starter, people, mostly kids want to know what I'm doing. Some of them have never seen fabric or a needle and thread!!!