Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   quilting on minky (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/quilting-minky-t213423.html)

JanTx 02-09-2013 05:41 PM

quilting on minky

3 Attachment(s)
There have been a couple of threads lately about using minky for backings. I chimed in on them as if I knew what I were doing. I have made several quilts with Minky backings, but sure have a lot to learn! I am also fairly new to FMQ, though I love to do it. I generally spray baste - or washable glue baste - and stablilize the quilt with straight lines before doing some FMQ in each block. (In this case, in each strip.)

Anyway - here's my latest effort. It's a baby quilt with batting and a minky backing. That makes it pretty heavy for a South Texas baby, but it should lay nicely on the floor and is so soft and cushy. I used batting because the backing showed through the white and light colors of the top.

I have a new Janome 6600 that I'm learning to use. The straight quilting was done with the dual feed foot (walking foot). The loop-de-loops and flowers were made with the FMQ foot.

I will be using store-bought satin binding and have sewn a stitch around the edges to help with that. I dread binding and really prefer to pull the backing over for the binding. Not possible with this one, though.

I can't wait to give this to the mom and dad to be. The dad was my daughter's best friend growing up. His mom and I are 2:00 AM friends - could call each other at that time for any reason.

QuiltnNan 02-09-2013 05:45 PM

nicely done ... i'm afraid to try minkee :)

Diane007 02-09-2013 06:53 PM

very nice quilt

fleurdelisquilts 02-09-2013 07:06 PM

pretty and colorful....minky scares me, too, but I have used it. Not much though, and not on the long arm. I'm afraid it will stretch then shrink back and be all wonky-wobbly. Not something I want, anyway.

Wine Woman 02-09-2013 07:12 PM

Adorable! I'm sure they are going to really appreciate a beautiful quilt and soft one as well! I haven't used Minky yet so I appreciate all the information about it. It will be in the near future for a trial on a baby doll blanket. I tend to try my quilting techniques on smaller blankets and the little girls love the little blankets for their dolls; then on to the real ones!! Thanks for sharing.

JanTx 02-09-2013 08:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Okay - done and completely done. Including the DREADED binding. I machine bind and really like this little stitch on my new machine. NOTE: I did almost everything I did on this quilt on other quilts on my small BIG BOX store machine - a Brother 9000. It had to be forced through the thickness of corners and seams by pulling the fabric through, but it was able to do what I did here. With this machine (Janome 6600) it is much easier, but it is still possible with smaller machines.

The quilt is in the washer now - wish me luck! I still am never sure they're going to come out alive- and this is quilt #85 and they all survived - so far.

hudgoddess 02-09-2013 08:48 PM

I have a minky project coming up soon. No wonder it's been put off..... Must. Get. Brave.

mighty 02-09-2013 08:50 PM

Beautiful!!!

DogHouseMom 02-09-2013 08:50 PM

Very nice! Strangely enough, I finished the binding on my minky backed quilt today! I opted to fold the minky over to the front to bind it because I didnt want to deal with the thickness of a real binding, I wish I had thought of using satin!!!! Need to get the label sewn on, and will post pics then.

earthwalker 02-09-2013 08:52 PM

Beautiful....I am about to FMQ a chair throw, which doesn't have minky, but plush pile velvet.....Your FMQ is really good, love the binding too. What a lucky baby! Anyway....back to my machine and hopefully if the throw works I'll have the ability to FMQ my DIL's string quilt. Thanks for giving the rest of us courage and sharing your gorgeous creation.