Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   how do you keep your block layout straight (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/how-do-you-keep-your-block-layout-straight-t215504.html)

showmehow 03-04-2013 06:03 PM

how do you keep your block layout straight

I have a small sewing room, no place to layout my blocks. I placed them on my bed to see how I wanted the pattern to go, as I picked them up i realized how easily I could mess the pattern up. Is there some method I could use to keep that from happening? Im a super new quilter.

hopetoquilt 03-04-2013 06:12 PM

There are safety pins that have letter beads (a-z). You could pin each of the blocks in the order you want to sew them. Then do a rapid diagram with the coordinating letters.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 03-04-2013 06:13 PM

Stickers! Every block gets a sticker with row number and position number and a sticker on the edge that is supposed to be sewn. I also try to pick them up in a logical way.....but often my logic escapes me later!

Cyn 03-04-2013 06:14 PM

I snap a picture with my phone and print it out to put under the clear extention table of my machine. I also use pins to keep each row in order.

JenniePenny 03-04-2013 06:16 PM

I simply use business type file folder labels. I write on them and stick them on the blocks. Don't need to spend extra money on fancy pins.

QM 03-04-2013 06:17 PM

what I do after I do a layout is stack each row (being careful to be consistent that I move from left to right), then put a safety pin in the lower left corner of the stack. Then I go from top to bottom 'collecting' stacks. If I am not going to sew them immediately, I pin my stacks together. sometimes I also use post it notes on each stack. Of course, you still have to remember what the pin in the corner stood for, or write it down and attach it.

Tartan 03-04-2013 07:33 PM

I have a basic design wall to put my blocks up on. I also have laminated row/ block markers. You can pin up a plastic flannel tablecloth on a wall or rod for a basic design wall or even pin your blocks to your curtains. Row markers can be made with sticky notes and a safety pin. You number the notes Row 1/ Block 1...Row 1/ Block 2 and so on.

chairjogger 03-04-2013 07:38 PM

I need a visual. ALWAYS take a photo of arrangement. 2 reasons...the cameras eye..helps me decide some things too! Have fun!!
I used digital, when downloaded on computer, the have a great start record. :0)

SewExtremeSeams 03-04-2013 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by JenniePenny (Post 5904662)
I simply use business type file folder labels. I write on them and stick them on the blocks. Don't need to spend extra money on fancy pins.

I like this idea. It always bugs me to get my blocks out of order. Seems like they get scrambled in my brain going from the design board to my sewing machine. :D

Sew Freak 03-05-2013 04:42 AM

use your phone as CYN suggested