Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   chocolate frosting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/chocolate-frosting-t216057.html)

grammydar 03-10-2013 05:33 PM

chocolate frosting

I am looking for a good chocolate frosting recipe. I just dont like the canned frosting. But I love choc cake with choc frosting.
Thanks for the help
Darlene

Tartan 03-10-2013 05:56 PM

​I really like the Betty Crocker icing in the tubs.

NJ Quilter 03-11-2013 02:45 AM

I just use a standard butter cream frosting and add chocolate. 16 oz. confectioners sugar; 1 stick butter; milk to get to proper consistency. I usually mix by hand with a fork. Doesn't take that long. For chocolate, add 2 squares of melted bakers chocolate - I usually use semi-sweet. This makes ALOT of frosting. But it's really, really, yummy.

JaniceP 03-11-2013 02:57 AM

I use the recipe on the container of Hershey's Cocoa, natural unsweetened. It's called "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Frosting.
1 stick (1/2 c) butter or margarine 3 c powdered sugar 1 tsp. vanilla extract
2/3 c Hershey's Cocoa 1/3 c milk
Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating on med. speed to spreading consistency. Add more milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. Makes about 2 cups.

This is very good. I just use a cake mix for the cake and top with this delicious frosting. Taste like homemade!

arlene banken 03-11-2013 04:49 AM

choclate frosting::1/12 cup sugar 5 tbls milk 5tbls butter bring to a boil . boil 1 min add 1 cup chocolaate chips. stir in pour on cake delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!

kathidahl 03-11-2013 08:17 AM

The Hershey's recipe works for me..also you could google chocolate frosting and pick from a boat load of recipes. Have you looked at Just A Pinch recipe site? Those recipes are well tested..

mandyrose 03-11-2013 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by JaniceP (Post 5920280)
I use the recipe on the container of Hershey's Cocoa, natural unsweetened. It's called "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Frosting.
1 stick (1/2 c) butter or margarine 3 c powdered sugar 1 tsp. vanilla extract
2/3 c Hershey's Cocoa 1/3 c milk
Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating on med. speed to spreading consistency. Add more milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. Makes about 2 cups.

This is very good. I just use a cake mix for the cake and top with this delicious frosting. Taste like homemade!

yep me to ever since i can remember

Jannie 03-11-2013 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter (Post 5920268)
I just use a standard butter cream frosting and add chocolate. 16 oz. confectioners sugar; 1 stick butter; milk to get to proper consistency. I usually mix by hand with a fork. Doesn't take that long. For chocolate, add 2 squares of melted bakers chocolate - I usually use semi-sweet. This makes ALOT of frosting. But it's really, really, yummy.

I use this recipe for the most part but then add a couple tablespoons of cream cheese to cut down on the sweetness.

Tartan 03-11-2013 08:07 PM

I just saw a commercial for a new series of frosting made by Cool Whip. I wonder if you need to refrigerate the cake after frosting?

mythreesuns 03-12-2013 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5922430)
I just saw a commercial for a new series of frosting made by Cool Whip. I wonder if you need to refrigerate the cake after frosting?

Yes you do have to refrigerate after...BUT it is soooo tasty. I hate frostings and normally cut it all off, until this cool whip kind..