Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   My new toy (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/my-new-toy-t216650.html)

mcfay 03-17-2013 05:49 PM

My new toy

1 Attachment(s)
I bought a Singer 404, at the flea market yesterday. I gave 5.00 for it plus the cabinet it was in. It was missing the power cord. I used the one for my 401a, it sews like a dream. The only thing the lever that raised the two pins that holds the needle plate won't go over to the left to raise the pins. Any ideas as to how I can make this work?

I hope it just needs oiling. I had to replace the bobbin winder tire, and the thread holder pin for the bobbin is missing.

barny 03-17-2013 05:57 PM

First oil the pins. They probably are dry as powder. Gently work on them and the lever to try to raise them.I would gently take the slide plate off, then try to take the back plate off, maybe with a nudge with a screwdriver. Easy. My machine isn't same as this one, but the lever and pins are. Sometimes , they get stuck, I have to use small screwdriver to lift one back up. You're right, it probably needs cleaning and a good oiling all over and lubed.

Christine- 03-17-2013 07:38 PM

A great find! You did well on this one!

mcfay 03-18-2013 07:11 AM

Got it working. I first used some gun cleaner on them to clean off the gunk, then oiled them good. The machine was surprisingly clean. It sews wonderful, I put elastic in a denim skirt this morning, no problem. Now I can let my Janome rest a while and piece my quilt tops on the little 404.

I now have 3 Singers, a 15-91 in a treadle cabinet, a 401a head, then this 404 in the cabinet. I have a 446 New Home in a three drawer cabinet. Then my HT2008 Janome that sits in a cabinet that had a Kenmore in it. I took the Kenmore out, didn't like how it sounds when I sew on it. Sounds like it is binding somewhere, also has some nylon gears in it. I have a Brother embroidery machine, 2 sergers, a Singer Quantum Lock 5 thread and a New Home 334, 4 thread. I also have 2 commercial machine, a Juki 227 and a Mitsubishi needle feed. Then the quilting Short arm Singer 1191 sitting on a 12 ft. table.

mighty 03-18-2013 07:30 AM

Great find!

irishrose 03-18-2013 07:51 AM

I recently bought a portable in a spotless case for the same price. I had to soak the pin area in Koil gun cleaner to get them to move. I only had to clean it lightly and adjust the tension and it sews well.

Mariposa 03-18-2013 03:17 PM

Congrats on the great find!!

Material Witness 03-18-2013 04:02 PM

This is the machine I learned on as a child. Great one!

DanofNJ 03-18-2013 05:14 PM

Way to Go!!!! Nice machine, should sew a nice straight stitch.

miriam 03-19-2013 03:20 AM

Once I bought 12 of them from a school - I got all but 2 sewing. I think one more would sew if I had all the parts. I had to sacrifice one machine for parts to make all the others work. I found them to be a good machine. It is no wonder people learned to sew on those machines. I think they are under valued and overlooked most of the time. They are about the same weight as a 301 - no the feed dogs don't drop but they don't have the annoying bobbin case the 301 has. I should stand them side by side and see the differences some time.