Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need your help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-your-help-t217061.html)

Traditional 03-22-2013 05:26 PM

Need your help

1 Attachment(s)
I have a problem that I feel I can find the answer here. I need your input on how to price a quilt that has been stolen. I will give you the information and post a picture for you to see the quality of workmanship I appreciate your input in advance.
Queen/king size
all cotton top quality quilt shop fabric
Quilter's dream cotton 100 % batting
backing compliments the fabric used in the quilt(not muslin type)
Hand quilted mettler's hand quilting thread and mettler's silk finish thread.[ATTACH=CONFIG]403592[/ATTACH]

Tartan 03-22-2013 06:37 PM

How heartbreaking! I would think material alone would be $300. I would value it at $1000 myself but I'm no expert.

cathyvv 03-22-2013 09:03 PM

I wish I could help, but I have no idea how to answer your question. It's a beautiful quilt, no doubt irreplaceable!

NJ Quilter 03-23-2013 03:47 AM

Stunning quilt and the quilting looks wonderful. I would tend to agree with Tartan - especially regarding fabric cost. And not that it matters as to value per se, but did you do the quilting or someone else? If someone else did the quilting, can you document that cost - or the cost of the materials for that matter? Whoever did the quilting's time is worth money as well. I'm guessing your looking to file either an insurance claim or police report and documentation will be part of that process, I'm afraid. Sorry you're having to deal with this.

mpspeedy2 03-23-2013 04:05 AM

Unfortunately it is very hard to put a price tag on a quilt. For those of us who have tried to sell them or get tax credit for donating one it has been almost an impossible task. I won a king size raffle quilt from another guild's raffle. While it is lovely it doesn't match any of the color schemes in my home and is really to big for our bed and bedroom. I attempted to find a way to get it appraised so that I could donate it to our local Senior Center for them to raffle off and take a tax deduction. The friend who had sold me the ticket said the guild had spent $400 on the fabrics and the quilting was donated by a member who was a long armer. In the right market and under the right circumstances it would probably sell for at least $1000. Only those of us who are quilters truly recognize the worth of a quilt.
Good luck with getting anything out of your insurance company.

Traditional 03-23-2013 04:18 AM

I hand quilt all my quilts. The last quilt I put together for a customer and found a lady to do the quilt the cost with all materials and what she charge came to $2300. that has been about 4 yrs now.( shop only charge for the fabric/pattern / supplies) thank you Traditional

Boston1954 03-23-2013 04:24 AM

I recently had someone interested in buying one from me. I did a lot of figuring and it came out to 19 cents a square inch. That might not sound like a lot, but it means that a lap quilt of 75 x 57 inches would be $812.

P-BurgKay 03-23-2013 04:38 AM

At least $1000.00 up to $2000.00, people do not realize what all goes into hand quilting. You did such a beautiful job on this quilt.

jcrilley 03-23-2013 04:46 AM

In Ohio Amish country there are completed, hand quilted quilts for sale. If you can, check some of those out and you will get an idea of what you can charge. Berlin OH Helping Hands and Grandma Fannie's has lots of them.

HillCountryGal 03-23-2013 04:48 AM

If possible, I'd figure the cost of materials, etc. Estimate hours spent creating the quilt. **Including time & travel purchasing fabric. In this part of the world people get $10 per hour (minimum) for cleaning houses. So, I'd think for the skill level to create quilts the cost per hour would be $25 at the very least.

What kind of miserable person would steal your quilt?!