Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wedding Guest Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wedding-guest-quilt-t218797.html)

CraftyRae 04-10-2013 03:56 PM

Wedding Guest Quilt

My Maid-of-Honor pinned an idea on my secret wedding board that I LOVED, instead of a guestbook, a guest quilt! Yes, I want have my guests sign a quilt.

So, my wedding is in July, and I don't have the time to really plan anything too crazy but I want it to look nice and be able to knock out the top of the quilt in a couple of sittings, have the guest sign on that and save the finishing (batting/backing/quilting/binding) for after the wedding so I can finish at my leisure and not have the fabric markers bleed through the quilt. I have experience quilting, so I know what I'm getting myself into.

I want to use 3 fabrics with the wedding colors Royal Blue and Sunflower Yellow with Ivory as a filler. I want it to be a queen sized. I was thinking of either doing a rail fence or a tube quilt as these patterns seem pretty easy to cut a bunch of squares at once. Are there any other patterns that are easy sew and cut many squares in one go?

mom-6 04-10-2013 04:07 PM

Your colors sound lovely! The rail fence sounds quick and easy and beautiful.

joyce888 04-10-2013 04:09 PM

Yellow Brick Road and Turning Twenty (there are at least 3 books of Turning Twenty) are both easy and quick patterns.

gramajo 04-10-2013 04:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Have you considered just setting out cut blocks ironed onto freezer paper for the guests to sign? Cut the blocks the size you'd need for a rail fence, marking it so people don't write into the seam allowance. This is what my daughter made for my 70th birthday.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]407219[/ATTACH]The rails are 2.5" X 7.5" finished.

Holice 04-10-2013 04:31 PM

Consider having guest sign fabric for the back more space to write

CraftyRae 04-10-2013 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by gramajo (Post 5991999)
Have you considered just setting out cut blocks ironed onto freezer paper for the guests to sign? Cut the blocks the size you'd need for a rail fence, marking it so people don't write into the seam allowance.

Ironed to freezer paper?

Nammie to 7 04-10-2013 04:43 PM

Te freezer paper adds stability to the fabric so it doesn't stretch when signed.

CraftyRae 04-10-2013 04:44 PM

What is freezer paper exactly?

sewingsuz 04-10-2013 05:09 PM

Warm Wishes would be nice with a light color in the middle for signatures.

CraftyRae 04-10-2013 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz (Post 5992126)
Warm Wishes would be nice with a light color in the middle for signatures.

Oooo, I just had a really cool thought! My flowers are going to be a sunflowers. If I could find a sunflower pattern and do solids for the stripes (Royal Blue, Sunflower Yellow, Ivory) so people can sign on those, that would be really neat looking.