Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Awkward financial situation (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/awkward-financial-situation-t218843.html)

Nancyfarm 04-11-2013 05:39 AM

Awkward financial situation

My good friend asked me to make her a quilt, and specified it should be a work of art, focal point of the room, with several decorative pillows, and two standard pillow cases to go with it.
I used Timeless Treasures peacock, the black and gold one. The quilt is spectacular, and I couldn't be happier with it. I did not pay full price for anything (I'm a good shopper) except for the longarming, of course. The price of just materials was way north of $700.
I am horrified. My friend said she was surprised, but no problem. I feel so uncomfortable about this. I'll probably never make a quilt by request again. If I had to charge for labor, the quilt would be about $2000. What do you all think? Obviously my friend is awesome and I am lucky, but still..............

JenniePenny 04-11-2013 05:50 AM

If its a work of art, and I know it must be because I've seen the peacock fabric, then do not feel the least bit guilty. It would be much more awkward if she thought $80 was too much. She said no problem. If others admire the quilt in her home, she can tell them it's worth a few thousand dollars.

DebraK 04-11-2013 06:03 AM

sounds like she got a deal.

mighty 04-11-2013 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK (Post 5993191)
sounds like she got a deal.

I agree!!!!!!!

PaperPrincess 04-11-2013 06:11 AM

This is why you always have the customer purchase the materials first, AND have something in writing about what you charge for labor.

Don't be horrified. She is buying artwork, not a blanket from WM. If you are not going to charge her anything for your work, I would at least make her aware of that fact before she decides she wants another one for the spare room!

Scissor Queen 04-11-2013 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Nancyfarm (Post 5993121)
My good friend asked me to make her a quilt, and specified it should be a work of art, focal point of the room, with several decorative pillows, and two standard pillow cases to go with it.
I used Timeless Treasures peacock, the black and gold one. The quilt is spectacular, and I couldn't be happier with it. I did not pay full price for anything (I'm a good shopper) except for the longarming, of course. The price of just materials was way north of $700.
I am horrified. My friend said she was surprised, but no problem. I feel so uncomfortable about this. I'll probably never make a quilt by request again. If I had to charge for labor, the quilt would be about $2000. What do you all think? Obviously my friend is awesome and I am lucky, but still..............

The only awkward part I see is you not valuing your work enough to charge for it. Skilled labor costs way more than minimum wage.

nygal 04-11-2013 08:09 AM

I am sure it is beautiful. I ordered three yards of a red, black and white border print a few months ago from Paducah and they sent the Timeless Treasure Peacock border fabric by mistake!! When I called to tell them they sent the wrong fabric I said I wanted to just keep it since it was so gorgeous. I'm glad its in my stash!

Jingle 04-11-2013 08:26 AM

One reason I would not make a quilt for someone else. I give most of my quilts away. I still get a couple of family members ask me to use specific colors in another quilt for them. That is when I decided to stop giving quilts away. I just keep them and will decide who is to get one. Will probably end up giving to some kind of charity.

Teeler 04-11-2013 09:20 AM

Do you have a picture of this most spectacular creation? I've seen that fabric, and it is simply gorgeous!

Jan in VA 04-11-2013 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 5993349)
The only awkward part I see is you not valuing your work enough to charge for it. Skilled labor costs way more than minimum wage.

Hear, hear!!

One also might question where she buys her art, or what she considers art -- that IS what she asks for. How could she be surprised at the cost of what you've done so far???

Okay, everybody, write this on a sticky note and post it front and center in your sewing room.....

I WILL ALWAYS GET IT IN WRITING BEFORE
I START ANY PROJECT AFTER A REQUEST FROM
FAMILY, FRIENDS, COMMITTEES OR COMMISSIONS!!!
EVERY TIME!

Jan in VA