Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilt thread color and pattern advice, please! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-thread-color-pattern-advice-please-t220724.html)

Puttergeo 05-04-2013 05:19 PM

quilt thread color and pattern advice, please!

Please help me decide how to quilt a quilt top, which I just finished for my son's wedding. Also, can you give me advice on how to post the picture? I keep getting an error message. I'm trying to attach a picture taken from my computer "pictures" file.
I'm a fairly inexperienced quilter. The quilt has greens, golds and brown batiks, and I'm wondering what color thread I should use so as not to detract from the quilt top pattern? green? Or should I use the transparent thread (is it nylon?)? If transparent, what color bobbin? My backing is dark brown. Does the clear thread hold up and can it be washed?
Also, how would you quilt this, again, given that I am inexperienced. There are log cabin blocks and star blocks, with sashing in between (hard to describe without the picture!). I can't do fancy designs, but want this to look good. What would you suggest?

Puttergeo 05-04-2013 05:30 PM

Here's the picture for thread and quilting advice

2 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]411803[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]411804[/ATTACH]Thank you so much, AZ Jane, for your advice on the picture. Here it is.

AZ Jane 05-04-2013 05:35 PM

:thumbup: I might be temped to quilt with a dark brown thread to let it show. But if you don't want it to show, the clear thread. BUT I have never used the transparent thread. Hang on, by the morning, you'll have dozens of answers.

hopetoquilt 05-04-2013 06:10 PM

I would use a brown thread or use brown in bobbin and green on top. I would not recommend the nylon because it is a lot harder to work with (when I used it, it kept breaking).

Antdebby1 05-04-2013 06:12 PM

Your quilt is lovely. Not sure what color thread to use...sorry I am no help.

gramajo 05-05-2013 01:36 AM

Lovely quilt. Like others have said, I'd use brown in the bobbin and to apply the sashing. Brown or green for the top.

dakotamaid 05-05-2013 03:03 AM

It really depends on what you want to achieve with your quilting. Do you want the quilting to stand out or to fade in. I would "puddle" various colors of thread on each color in the quilt and see what looks pleasing to your eye. If your backing is brown I would tend to make the bobbin thread brown. As to the quilting design I'll leave that to those who do quilting designs better than I! :)

Esmerelde 05-05-2013 03:39 AM

I would probably chose a light or medium green matched to the green in the centre of the first quilt, after checking how it blended with the other colours. Though I would change to brown on the sashing stripes.

Quilter 65 05-05-2013 03:47 AM

That is a beautiful quilt. Looks to me like you are plenty experienced. Great job, good pattern, beautiful colors. Yum

QuiltnNan 05-05-2013 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid (Post 6045144)
... I would "puddle" various colors of thread on each color in the quilt and see what looks pleasing to your eye.... :)

I always forget about this great hint. Thanks for the reminder :)