Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Most frustrating quilting notion! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/most-frustrating-quilting-notion-t220974.html)

nhweaver 05-07-2013 01:18 PM

Most frustrating quilting notion!

What quilting tool did you buy that drives you crazy? I treated myself to a new seam ripper, the Fons and Porter seam ripper and this ripper is driving me crazy. I wanted a large ripper, as I am always misplacing it - and I normally love their products. Well, the handle is totally round, it rolls off any surface that I put it on. And the ripper nose (the pointy thing) is so thick that it has a hard time getting between the stitches. Ugh, I am glad that I used a 50% off coupon for it. Waiting for the next coupon to buy a brand one. Any suggestions? Not a happy camper right now.

frustratedquilter40 05-07-2013 01:23 PM

I own 2 of the fons and porter seam ripper some bought me one and I had misplaced mine then it showed up. Same complaints as you. It would be my tool that frustrates me the most vote .

carolaug 05-07-2013 01:24 PM

I find the only seam rippers that work are the ones that come with the machine, I will be watching this as I too would like to get a really good sharp one.

maminstl 05-07-2013 01:25 PM

My first mistake was the lighted, magnified ripper - sounded like a great idea - very awkward to actually use. A tiny little ripper, a bright light and some reading glasses are much better.

I'm unwound 05-07-2013 01:29 PM

I would let them (Fons & Porter) know! I think they are good people & might even give your money back. But for sure I think they would want to know about the issues with something that has their name on it!

Puttergeo 05-07-2013 01:42 PM

I have found the ergonomic rotary cutter to be impossible to use. I can't stay along the ruler no matter how hard I try! And I was really hoping for something to ease my arthritis.

BellaBoo 05-07-2013 01:49 PM

I like the F&P red and cream colored seam ripper. It's very sharp and the point hasn't given me any problem at all. I like Clover seam rippers, they are smaller and very sharp. I put a rubber band around the round handle to keep it from rolling on the table.

MacThayer 05-07-2013 01:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a Gingher seam ripper, and I absolutely love it. It has a curved body that fits nicely in my hand. The "ripping tip" is like a razor blade, so it cuts everything and gets between anything. Plus I can retract this blade into the body for safety. I've been a seamstress for 40 years, and now I'm a quilter. This is absolutely the best seam ripper I have ever used. Hopefully I've uploaded a photo to show you. They say you only need the original blade, because it never gets dull. I'm still ripping away on my original blade (two years now) and it's still plenty sharp. But if you get the chance to buy one with an extra blade, do it. I now have a refill, but it was hard to find.

MacThayer 05-07-2013 01:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]412244[/ATTACH]I have a Gingher seam ripper, and I absolutely love it. It has a curved body that fits nicely in my hand. The "ripping tip" is like a razor blade, so it cuts everything and gets between anything. Plus I can retract this blade into the body for safety. I've been a seamstress for 40 years, and now I'm a quilter. This is absolutely the best seam ripper I have ever used. Hopefully I've uploaded a photo to show you. They say you only need the original blade, because it never gets dull. I'm still ripping away on my original blade (two years now) and it's still plenty sharp. But if you get the chance to buy one with an extra blade, do it. I now have a refill, but it was hard to find.

Tink's Mom 05-07-2013 02:05 PM

I store my Fons & Porter seam ripper in a coffee mug that I keep on the sewing table...it holds all the little stuff that is forever getting lost.