Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Would anyone be interested in a giant fabric swap? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/would-anyone-interested-giant-fabric-swap-t222536.html)

littledentist 05-29-2013 01:10 PM

Would anyone be interested in a giant fabric swap?

Hi ladies. I'm throwing this out there. Anyone who would be interested in a place where you could go online routinely for a swapping fabric?? Anyone in, say "I".

Thank you!

Prism99 05-29-2013 01:15 PM

Not I! Postage costs would kill my interest in doing this.

Jingle 05-29-2013 01:26 PM

Not I, I have plenty of fabrics.

mitmeg 05-29-2013 01:29 PM

I swapped fabric through Swap-bot for several months last year~~~ after a few ''good'' swaps I started getting burned and the postage was killing me. I'm afraid I'm "burned out'' on fabric swaps for a long time!

MaryMo 05-29-2013 01:32 PM

There are FQ swaps on this board .... or why not start a swap of your own?
Getting burned is common in these swaps, but the benefits outweigh the downers on the swaps on this board.

ckcowl 05-29-2013 01:55 PM

you need to start with reading the rules & requirements for starting swaps here on the board- your (idea) has to go through administration and be approved first.

BellaBoo 05-29-2013 03:20 PM

She doesn't have to go through the board, just do a swap on her own but mailing costs can be an issue for many.

AlienQuilter 05-29-2013 04:57 PM

If you host a swap, insist that everyone provide you with a prepaid addressed flat rate envelope to return their fabric to them. You would be amazed at the amount of out of pocket postage you will be responsible for if you don't. I guess you can tell I got burned bad this way once - lesson learned.

willferg 05-30-2013 05:51 AM

I can certainly see why you'd want to have a swap. Our local charity sewing group is planning a swap where everyone donates stuff they don't want from their stash, and then we'll have a swap amongst us members, and then we'll have a yard sale for the public to raise funds for our group.

I'm looking forward to moving some of my stuff along and getting some new things that will hopefully inspire me...

jeank 05-30-2013 05:59 AM

I never participate in the fat quarter swaps because of the postage. What is the point of giving one fat quarter and getting one. I would rather pick out my own at the LQS. When I used to do this, I would give a LQS piece and get a Joann fabric one.

I have participated and enjoyed the fat quarter raffles. Every one sent in 2 FQ with a theme named by the hostess, one was kept by the hostess and the other went into the prize. A name was drawn and winner took all. No different than purchasing a raffle ticket, you dont expect to win. Then the winner hosts the next drawing and can name the theme of the raffle. So the winner actually gets two piles of FQ.

We have done this with my on-line quilt guild where we had a set number of members. Nobody got burned because we knew each other.