Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Quilts and Stained Glass, mix and match ideas (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/quilts-stained-glass-mix-match-ideas-t223157.html)

Ozarkcastle 06-07-2013 05:12 AM

Quilts and Stained Glass, mix and match ideas

3 Attachment(s)
I have sewn tops and quilted for many years. I am lucky to be able to 'see' something and interpret it to my liking.
Last year I was searching for someone to construct a stained glass window for our auditorium. Several shops would consider to bid the project but none would let me design the piece without taking classes. (Totally understandable)

Due to estimated price quotes we decided to put off the project.

Last year while at a local quilt shop I met a gal that had come in to see if she could find someone to quilt a few utility tops for her. I was visiting with the owner at the time. I do NOT quilt for the public. My quilting is strictly for family and donation projects...BUT...after talking to her a bit, I was move to 'help her out'--lol (What is it about us quilters that we have to save the world?)

Turns out my new friend use to teach stained glass before she retired. We eventually worked out a deal where I would quilt in exchange for lessons and use of her tools. I bought my own glass.

Then I started searching Craigs list and started buying tools and glass from people who had given up the 'hobby'
Less then a year later I now have a full working studio (OK it is really just the basement store room re-purposed for my obsession.

I tend to act on the 'it is easier to ask forgiveness then ask permission' philosophy (seriously just kidding). 'Hiding' new glass purchases is a lot harder then 'hiding' fabric. I haven't asked but I think Hubby has caught on!

Proud to say the church window was done by hubby and me, designed, cut, foil, solder, everything! This 3' x 5' Piece took three guys to install it. Photo is of our son finishing up.

Second project I did by myself for my home office window. Not perfect but I enjoy the light in the morning.
My third piece is in my bedroom window.

I am hooked on glass, Now to start converting my favorite quilt patterns into glass work. Good-By mini blinds and curtains--lol

SewCraftyGirl 06-07-2013 05:20 AM

They look amazing! And, I love the background story that went along with it. Thx for sharing both!

tealfalcon 06-07-2013 05:23 AM

Wow beautiful work and how fabulous that you were able to trade

valleyquiltermo 06-07-2013 05:25 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Your doing a great Job, I love the church window and my hubby loves the rooster one. I did bottle walls in my quilting room. Bottles with cord wood. [ATTACH=CONFIG]417674[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]417675[/ATTACH]

valleyquiltermo 06-07-2013 05:29 AM

Sorry I tried to remove the third pic it was the wrong one.

cajunowl 06-07-2013 05:30 AM

the stain glass windows are beautiful. What a wonderful way to showcase your talents for God!

Ozarkcastle 06-07-2013 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo (Post 6108646)
Sorry I tried to remove the third pic it was the wrong one.

nothing wrong with that photo- we have all been there-lol my whole house is a work in progress most of the time.

Love your wall. I am just starting to do mosaics too. Good part of all these years of quilting is I actually figured out a system to organize my scraps as I go along. That and I have purchased a lot of other peoples oopsies--lol

Tam...Moo 06-07-2013 05:44 AM

Stunning window! You are very talented...cannot wait to see more.

Angel Bear 06-07-2013 05:50 AM

Your windows are beautiful. Much prettier than blinds and curtains. Loved your story, too.

joysewer 06-07-2013 05:51 AM

Beautiful work!! What glory to God to showcase the talent he gave you in His house!!