Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need Long Arm quilting ideas - It's not talking to me! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-long-arm-quilting-ideas-its-not-talking-me-t224616.html)

JLD 06-27-2013 01:13 AM

Need Long Arm quilting ideas - It's not talking to me!

1 Attachment(s)
I made this quilt after seeing it posted on here by another member, I am sorry I don't remember who. I knew when I saw it I was going to make it because it is so happy and beautiful. So now the top is made and I have satin stitched around the pieces - which I don't like to go over when I long arm, personal preference. The problem I have now is how to quilt it. I want to do custom to accent the top and I know there will be a lot of starts and stops that way but I am open to any suggestions - even if it is different from what I am thinking cause this top is really not talking to me! Thanks in advance!

heather1949 06-27-2013 01:46 AM

Not into long arm quilting, but it would need something special I think.

gsbuffalo 06-27-2013 02:16 AM

beautiful top but not help with the quilting.

vicki s 06-27-2013 02:33 AM

You could put either stars or flowers in the center of the circles and then maybe echo around the points. If you like tight quilting on your quilts you could just do a meander stitch around the rest. Its a beautiful quilt.

ckcowl 06-27-2013 03:10 AM

I would do some sort of special design in each circle section- then just echo the points- or a small stipple around the points would 'pop' them out...turned out very nice.

coachmatthewsvhs 06-27-2013 03:16 AM

I don't long arm, but I would love to see straight stitches from your points to the center of each block and then a pebbling around outside of the points..... same "radiant" stitching in the small circles too. Please post your finished quilt. It is beautiful. How much thread did it take to satin stitch all those pieces?

LindaMRB 06-27-2013 03:18 AM

This is such a strong geometric quilt I would go for geometric patterns: concentric circles, points to echo the stars or just straight lines through the centers within each large square. Or wheel spokes maybe?
Or to give it a more organic feel, just meander loosely all over.
Not into long arm so these ideas might not be easy...In any case, I like the colors, design and would love to see what you finally decide!

DogHouseMom 06-27-2013 03:21 AM

If the batting you choose is such that it will allow you to SITD around only the colored pieces ... then I would do that and choose various small fillers for the white sections. I'm seeing small ripple lines, pebbling, and stipling in various areas of the white. The outer white border perhaps a simple vine.

Tartan 06-27-2013 04:24 AM

I would SITD around the whole sun shape in each square. Then I would stitch 1/4 inch out from the outline until it reached the circle. I would straight stitch the circle at the edge of the sun shape. I would do concentric circles in the inner circle shape and in the 1/4 circles on the corners.

JLD 06-27-2013 01:41 PM

coachmatthewsvhs - I will put it up when it is done. It took a small thing of thread for each color and a whole lot of time but it sure came out nice. Thanks for your input!