Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help!!!! How do I finish this??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-how-do-i-finish-t224737.html)

drivingsusan 06-28-2013 03:39 PM

Help!!!! How do I finish this???

First off---I am not very good at asking for HELP!!! That being said---HELP!!!!!

I am just finishing a big (for me) applique project---the big part is the appliques themselves. The pieces are 7" X 7" ish and I don't know how to quilt the whole thing!!!!!

I have a Pfaff on a Grace frame and I can meander and do squigglies---enough to hold a quilt together!!---But I CAN NOT do any GREAT designs..................

And forget doing anything on my DMC!!!!! It is difficult enough wrestling to put the binding on!!!!

I guess my question is: can I just squiggle my way across all appliques like they were not really there???

I will try and add a pic of the blocks..............
Thank you!!!

drivingsusan 06-28-2013 03:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well....here it is!!!

mom-6 06-28-2013 04:06 PM

That's really cute!
I would think that since they are large and somewhat abstract (not tiny and detailed) it should work to just do your normal quilting.

Grandma Bonnie 06-28-2013 04:11 PM

I'm no help at all ~ but I really like it! Great job!

kathdavis 06-28-2013 04:16 PM

That quilt is sew cute! I think if you just did a simple quilting design all the way across like regular quilting it would be fine. I did a similar quilt with large appliques and I had my quilter use transparent thread so the thread color would not be distracting.

hopetoquilt 06-28-2013 04:39 PM

Meander and have fun with it. I would use a light gray or tan very neutral thread. The top right cat hanging upside down is clearly my favorite. Love the quilt.

bearisgray 06-28-2013 04:50 PM

Love the csts,!

bigsister63 06-28-2013 05:13 PM

did you attach the applique with stitching?. I can not tell . Simce the blocks are not yet sewn together you could quilt as you go and either fancy stitch on the applique or do a echo around each cat/mpouse/letter and then SID on the star. Also what does your batting say for recommended distance.? I think there are some out there that say 6" so that means that you could do simple wavy lines around inside of each block. Question- Do you need to attach applique with stitching AND iron on stuff?

charsuewilson 06-28-2013 05:18 PM

Love the kitties. I'm not great with quilting designs, so I can't add any more to what has already been posted.

drivingsusan 06-28-2013 05:48 PM

Thank you all for your help!!! Knowing that I CAN just quilt as normal THROUGH the appliques gives me great hope that I will do a good job of it!!!

Big sis---the cats et al were fused and stitched down and the blocks are all sewn together now!!! Just have to do the border!!!! The batting will be Warm & Natural---that is why my question--because they say 5" for that and the cats are bigger than that!!!!

Thank you all again!!!!