Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Glue basting for the first time (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/glue-basting-first-time-t224975.html)

SemiSweet 07-01-2013 08:23 PM

Glue basting for the first time

1 Attachment(s)
Those dining room lights are really hot, don't mind my crazy top bun. :o

[ATTACH=CONFIG]422173[/ATTACH]

SheriR 07-01-2013 08:27 PM

I didn't know glue basting was actual Elmer's glue! I will be watching to see how well your quilt "quilts up". It looks like you're doing a great job!

SemiSweet 07-01-2013 08:32 PM

There's a couple of different ways. They make a spray (I also haven't tried that) called 505, that is just for gluing fabrics together. If this works it should be way cheaper though. The spray costs $15 here. : /

cybermom2 07-02-2013 02:24 AM

I just read on another website that Staples has the 8 pack of Elmer's glue sticks for 0.50 this week. I haven't checked mine, but plan to today.

QuiltnNan 07-02-2013 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by cybermom2 (Post 6155032)
I just read on another website that Staples has the 8 pack of Elmer's glue sticks for 0.50 this week. I haven't checked mine, but plan to today.

There will some fantastic sales on glue all over because of the start of school :)

gabeway 07-02-2013 04:59 AM

Let us see how it comes out.

SemiSweet 07-02-2013 06:12 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Alright, so the glue mostly stuck, I must have done the right amount.

My problem now, I laid out my top to see how it would fit and I've got some serious puckering issues! I guess the inner rectangle isn't square on one corner (100-115 degrees instead of 90 degrees) I didn't notice this until now, so now my big border is off. What would you guys suggest?
These are my ideas:
1.) Try to iron it as flat as possible on the floor (on a lower setting because the batting is 100% poly with mylar in the middle)
2.) Pick it up again and try to iron it as flat as possible on my ironing board.
3.) Pick it up again and try to sew a new seam, to try to make that corner as square as possible.
4.) Not worry about it and glue it down as flat as possible. The quilting might take some of the puckering out and it might not be very noticeable.
5.) Listen to one of you fine quilters' expert advice!!

Below I'm posting pictures of the puckering. And of the embroidery that actually worked out really well for me not having embroidered anything since I was in junior high.

Puckering! :mad:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]422203[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]422204[/ATTACH]

Embroidery! :p (The words are EDS, Strength, Courage, Fortitude, Power, Resilience, Adaptability, Flexibility, Tenacity, Spirit, Mettle, Determination, Perseverance)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]422205[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]422206[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]422207[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]422208[/ATTACH]

Tartan 07-02-2013 06:31 AM

It looks like the top is fairly smooth. The back has some problems so I would re- do it. I don't know the best way to remove the back if the glue is already dry? You might be able to carefully lift the fabric away from the glue and use an exacto knife to shave off a bit of the poly fiber? Do not use a hot iron on polyester batt as it melts.
When I tried the Elmer's glue method, I did the front first and the back last. It is more important to get the back smooth because you can quilt out any shifting on the front when you see it.

SemiSweet 07-02-2013 06:42 AM

Hmm, well I did it backwards I guess. The very bottom of my sandwich is pieced as well, although I didn't notice any puckering with that part. It was completely flat when I taped it down. The batting in the middle is really thin, as it's Insul-bright, not actually batting, so you can actually see the seams from the "starburst" through it, although it is flat. It was the top (currently top of my sandwich as well) that was concerning me. The pictures show the puckering on the green turtle fabric and pink and black star fabric on my quilt top.

sparkys_mom 07-02-2013 07:40 AM

My quilts were much smaller than yours but they turned out great. I don't think I'll ever use pins again. I followed the instructions that I found right here on the board - not the pictures so much as the written instructions.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...e-t208057.html

Not only is 505 a lot more expensive, I just can't imagine breathing all that stuff in. I already have COPD and Asthma. :(

I did not heat press my glue efforts as I also use poly batting. Instead, I did the back, let it dry overnight and then did the front the next day. It held really well but I don't think it would have been difficult to INTENTIONALLY pull the fabric away from the batting.