Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Red fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/red-fabric-t225194.html)

SewBarbie 07-05-2013 03:06 PM

Red fabric

Washed Kona red three times with color catcher--still bleeding! Suggestions? What brand of red do you use? This is for a Quilt of Valor.

soccertxi 07-05-2013 03:16 PM

I washed some dark blue batik with 3 color catchers and they turned out navy blue! I used it anyway...and well, it BLED on the white/offwhite in the quilt. Lesson learned: don 't use it if it does not stop bleeding! You can throw more than one color catcher in at a time. Look for Retayne. Its for prewashing fabric, not washing a quilt.

ghostrider 07-05-2013 03:25 PM

Color Catchers and Synthrapol don't stop dye from bleeding, they just keep it from settling on something else.
Use Retayne to set dye (i.e., to stop it from bleeding) in fabric that has not yet been used in a quilt.

ckcowl 07-05-2013 03:36 PM

where did you purchase your 'kona red'? it is not all created equal- places like (joannes) tend to label their solids 'kona' when they really are not-
some of them never stop bleeding- until they are just barely pink. you can 'try' retayne- follow the instructions-
a good, (real) kona solid from a quilt shop is not as apt to bleed- bella and moda solids are also good solids. I've used kona solids for years and have never had one bleed, red, black, deep blue, purple...none of them. it's best to keep washing it until it does not bleed any more if you want to use it- or use it in a project where it will not matter.

bearisgray 07-05-2013 03:38 PM

I am surprised that a kona cotton is bleeding.

I would return it to the store.

I also would not use it.

auntpiggylpn 07-05-2013 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 6161322)
where did you purchase your 'kona red'? it is not all created equal- places like (joannes) tend to label their solids 'kona' when they really are not-
some of them never stop bleeding- until they are just barely pink. you can 'try' retayne- follow the instructions-
a good, (real) kona solid from a quilt shop is not as apt to bleed- bella and moda solids are also good solids. I've used kona solids for years and have never had one bleed, red, black, deep blue, purple...none of them. it's best to keep washing it until it does not bleed any more if you want to use it- or use it in a project where it will not matter.

I have never had any Robert Kaufman Konas bleed! Try the Retayne if you need to use the red that you already have, otherwise if it was me, I would buy a different red.

snipforfun 07-05-2013 03:52 PM

Synthropol is or hand dyes and Retayne is for commercially dyed fabrics.

SewBarbie 07-05-2013 03:57 PM

It was purchased at Hobby Lobby--

QUILTNMO 07-05-2013 05:41 PM

you might try vinegar !!!!

Peckish 07-05-2013 06:10 PM

Fill the tub or washer with hot water (140°) and let the water soak overnight. You can add Synthrapol if you want, or just use detergent. Rinse, then check for further bleeding by rubbing or squeezing the fabric onto a white cloth. I've never had a fabric bleed after treating it like this.