Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Cast iron griddle by Lodge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/cast-iron-griddle-lodge-t225897.html)

Sandygirl 07-15-2013 04:32 PM

Cast iron griddle by Lodge

Well, I hate this thing!! It does not cook evenly....my pancakes are cooked on one half of each side. Blonde/brown halves. I heat this thing up hoping for a better outcome. not so. Any tips?
Sandy

prezzy 07-15-2013 04:38 PM

I cannot cook a pancake to save my life. I got a griddle thinking that would help, but still no luck. Maybe someone can help us both.

Tothill 07-15-2013 04:57 PM

I use ours to cook over a campfire, I have never used it in the house. I guess I would have to place it over two burners on the stove.

I use both the smooth griddle side and raised grill side over a campfire with out any issues.

I find with all cast iron I have to let it heat up slowly so the heat is even throughout before starting to cook. If I heat it up quickly and start to cook right away there are hot and cool spots.

I have a huge heavy cast iron fry pan that works on the gas RV stove to make pancakes without any problem.

Sandygirl 07-15-2013 05:02 PM

I do let it heat up...maybe "slowly" is the challenge. I start it as I mix my pancake mix. It does not fit over two burners. (Gas). My Pampered Chef one works so much better but the non-stick coating eventually gets icky. I thought that I would try cast iron.

Sandy

chips88 07-15-2013 05:38 PM

my mom bought me a griddle for xmas 3 years ago. and it does a great job on pancakes..its called technique. she ordered it from qvc

tomodachi1 07-15-2013 05:42 PM

Hi Sandy: I have a Lodge skillet and have used it for years. Call them on their 800 number and explain the situation. They have wonderful customer service and may have some suggestions, if not ask if you can return it for either a refund or a credit. I love their products as I do not have to season them. I have two skillets, and would love to have a grill pan, but my financial situation will not allow me to get one at this present time.
Hugs Tomodachi

Tartan 07-15-2013 06:26 PM

I use my electric frying pan for pancakes. I like to be able to set the temperature. It has the added bonus of freeing up the stove for doing other cooking.

Jan in VA 07-15-2013 11:38 PM

I use a Lodge frying pan or Lodge flat round griddle nearly every day of my life and have never had problems with either. Of course, they both fit over 1 large burner.

When I'm doing a thick burger or a steak I start them on medium high with a dollop of oil or ghee in the middle to get that sizzle right away and never have a problem.

Jan in VA

jbud2 07-16-2013 02:38 AM

DH has one that he uses to do up eggs and pancakes on the grill. I know he lets it heat up for awhile. This is his second griddle. The first one was my grandmother's and he dropped it on the cement floor. And it broke!!

romanojg 07-16-2013 03:18 AM

Did you season it well. I always season mine even if it says pre-seasoned and then every once in a while I'll do it again. Plus with cast iron if you burn salt in them it'll help keep them from sticking. I will also from time to time spray a little cooking oil in the bottom before storing them away. Love my cast irons