Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Hi from Jeanne in Grand Haven Michigan (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/hi-jeanne-grand-haven-michigan-t228993.html)

TheLakeshore 08-29-2013 04:55 AM

Hi from Jeanne in Grand Haven Michigan

As a new member I thought I would just copy what I wrote when I joined the CyberQuilters yahoo group. (There is where I heard about this board.)

Two weeks ago I attended the AQS show in Grand Rapids Michigan and got the bug BIG TIME. So smitten I immediately found the volunteer table and signed up to donate three hours just to get immersed.. I was a white glove lady with two exhibits: The Quilts of the Coahagan and the Patricia Campbell traveling display...and met the most beautiful women on the planet. Patient people, holy smokes. I asked a gazillion questions and mentally filed away so many tips.

1. Purchase a rotary cutter, a mat and a quilt ruler.
2. Take a class.
3. Join a Guild but don't come in guns a blazing ready to serve at the top.
4. Start with something doable.
5. Use plenty of 'feel' when putting your pieces together. (Now I know what that means.)
6. Buy a color wheel.
7. Experiment.

I met a fantastic woman, Lori Smith, there and purchased her quilt show special, ten packages of little quilts 12"x12", a total of sixty patterns. I am starting at the beginning and working my way through. The first and second are done (not quilted, just pieced) and now I am turning to the internet for help on the third which calls for applique. My points are not perfect. My goal is not to finish all sixty quilts; that is my inspiration and motivation. My goal is to somehow learn to turn the perfect point.

I hope to post two pictures in an album titled Jeanne Lucas, one of my first three tiny quilts, one of me and my motorcycle.

Married thirty three years next month.
Mother of three grown ups. The twenty-two year old son has moved back in.

Two horses.
A black toy poodle.
Two parakeets.

...and some barn cats.

Sincerely,
Jeanne Lucas

Jeannette51 08-29-2013 05:05 AM

Welcome to the board Jeanne, your gonna have a lot of fun in this quilting world. This is a great board full of wonderful tips and ideas. So many helpful experienced quilters to guide us newbies.

Abby'smom 08-29-2013 05:06 AM

:) welcome from se TX

Misty's Mom 08-29-2013 05:28 AM

Hello and welcome from Texas

Neesie 08-29-2013 06:42 AM

Howdy and welcome, from another quilter in Texas!

The trick to perfect points is perfect seams. The trick to perfect seams is practice, determination, and patience. You can do it! :thumbup:

mighty 08-29-2013 07:02 AM

Welcome from S CA!

TheLakeshore 08-29-2013 08:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Neesie, Thank you for pointing out the fix but maybe I wasn't clear. My points in my seams, those I'm happy with. But the points in my applique, that is what needs help. I'm going to try to post a picture. (And also, thank you to everybody who gave me the warm welcome. Very nice![ATTACH=CONFIG]432903[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]432904[/ATTACH]

I did it!!! Oh boy. This quilting stuff is going to open up a whole new world for me. ...and now onto block number 4...

Jeanne

quiltingloulou 08-29-2013 09:09 AM

Great start. Keep up the good work, it's a wonderful pastime.

J Carol 08-29-2013 10:15 AM

Welcome from Adrian, MI

Lovequilting22 08-29-2013 10:47 AM

Hello and Welcome from Eastern PA! :). Happy quilting!