Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Insurance rider for sewing/quilting equipment and supplies? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/insurance-rider-sewing-quilting-equipment-supplies-t229436.html)

bearisgray 09-04-2013 07:57 AM

Insurance rider for sewing/quilting equipment and supplies?

Do any of you have a rider on your insurance policies for your sewing/quilting equipment and supplies?

Does one need to have one?

I know that one is needed for guns and better jewelry.

I don't even want to think about what it would cost to replace everything I have at this point. (50 years of accumulating)

peacefulquilting 09-04-2013 08:05 AM

You would probably only need one if your have a home business - otherwise, your home owners insurance should cover your contents on your home. You may want to consider raising the amount covered on the contents themselves.

Peckish 09-04-2013 08:08 AM

I asked my insurance agent about the guns/jewelry, and was told that they only issue riders if the items' replacement value is above a certain dollar amount. Ours wasn't, so I didn't purchase the additional rider. I was also informed they would write a rider for my sewing equipment if I used it for business purposes, which I don't. This was several years ago, so it's possible that's changed, and I neglected to ask about the value. It's entirely possible the agent was thinking about a $300 Singer, and if I had a $5000 (or more) longarm I would definitely revisit that issue.

PaperPrincess 09-04-2013 08:28 AM

I would make a list of what you have, get replacement estimates (ebay completed auctions?). Then contact your insurance person and show them the list. They will be able to give you a definite answer on coverage. I agree with Peckish. If they are not familiar with high end machines, they may be thinking of a few hundred $$ to replace, which is why you need to show them a list.

romanojg 09-04-2013 08:37 AM

According to the dealer/teacher where I bought my machine her insurance person told her she had to have a rider to make sure it and even the software was covered. I haven't gotten around to doing that yet only due to financial reasons but hopefully next yr I'll do it. You should also keep an estimated cost of fabric,etc of whats in your room including fabric and thread for the claim. No one who isn't familiar with sewing/quilting/embroidery would ever realize the cost that is in there and when its gone its hard to remember everything.

janRN 09-04-2013 08:38 AM

When I bought my Sweet 16 I contacted the agent about extra coverage. He stated that our policy has "replacement value" that covers contents (there are different types of policies so check on yours). He said everyone should video tape the contents of their home whenever they purchase new items and keep the CD or tape in a safety deposit box. Has anyone done this? I haven't but thinking I should.

JeannieT 09-04-2013 08:56 AM

Depending on who your homeowners' coverage is with, a computerized sewing machine can be considered "electronics". Most policies have a built-in limit for electronics, over and above the contents limits. That limit usually isn't much, and this is where even the LED/LCD tv's and computers would be covered too. So if you have a lot of "electronics", my agt suggested covering these, including my 3 machines, on a rider that increases the electronics limit.

I take pictures of everything and store them away from the house. Copy it all on CD. If you have something really spendy, like sewing machines or longarms, making a copy of the receipts and storing it too is a good idea. Serial number documentation too.

ArtsyOne 09-04-2013 08:58 AM

I have a rider for my jewelry, but don't have one for my extensive stash or three sewing machines. I do, however, have photographs of the machines and all of my stash which I update a couple of times a year. Those photographs are in my camera and backed up on a USB which I keep at work.

NJ Quilter 09-04-2013 09:10 AM

It really depends on the type of homeowners insurance you have in place. If your normal policy includes 'replacement coverage' then you need to see if there are limitations as JeannieT mentions. Otherwise, you may want to invite your insurance agent to come view what you have and make recommendations based on their consultation. Having a phone conversation may just not be sufficient based on your situation.

Akweiland 09-04-2013 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne (Post 6273460)
I have a rider for my jewelry, but don't have one for my extensive stash or three sewing machines. I do, however, have photographs of the machines and all of my stash which I update a couple of times a year. Those photographs are in my camera and backed up on a USB which I keep at work.

Artsy this is very smart. I need to take the time and inventory everything and put it on a USB or on the cloud. I have clients whose home burned down in April and they told me they insurance company wanted a description and value on everything in the house. How many many wash cloths, etc. Heaven help me if I don't have this done for my hobbies where lots of value is.