Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Painting Gourds (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/painting-gourds-t229988.html)

Rosyhf 09-11-2013 02:46 PM

Painting Gourds

4 Attachment(s)
I am taking a break from quilting for a while. I will be doing a spell of painting (folk art). I pulled out some gourds that I had stored, for a time like this, when I need something different.

The gourds had already been cleaned (given to me by a friend) and they are the bowl types with covers.

I have found that the DecoArt paints have a very high pigment, so I am using those. I mixed up a batch of yellow paint that was getting old, but still good, (don't like to waste lol) and painted the gourds three nice coats.

Then I used the Traditions paint, which is another line of DecoArt and did the color coat. I used that paint because it paints like an oil once you put extender in it and the pigment in this line is even higher. I put a few bottles with the gourds for you to see what they look like. I am posting all this in case someone would like some information on good paint. I have been painting for 30 years and found these to be the best in my opinion.

I will give them another day to cure/dry, (it's always a good idea to let acrylics cute 24 hours), and then I will sketch my designs on them and start the process. I will post as I go along. BTW, the colors on the gourds are not one color per say, I usually brush mix several colors as I base coat.

Rosyhf 09-11-2013 02:52 PM

I also left all the natural dents and marks on the gourds. Some artists fill those up with filler but I like them to be just the way they are and I think it adds character to the overall project.

lynnie 09-11-2013 03:46 PM

did you cut them? I cn't wait to see what you do with them next, please show us, i'd love to see them

Rosyhf 09-11-2013 04:01 PM

I didn't do the cutting Lyn, my friend gave them to me already cut. They are not hard to cut to. YOu mark with a pancil and then cut with the jig saw, now hard at all.

I will post as I paint.

mawluv 09-11-2013 04:41 PM

Thanks for posting this,Rosy, always love to see your projects. Look forward to seeing what you do with the gourds!!

abdconsultant 09-11-2013 04:46 PM

wow, looks like fun!

Nanny's dollface 09-11-2013 05:37 PM

I can't wait to see the progress as you go with the gourds. I too find it necessary to switch it up in the arts.

OCquilter 09-11-2013 08:45 PM

I just saw gourds painted at an arts/craft fair in Payson, AZ. She had lampshades, bowls, as well as lidded containers. I got a very small gourd with prickly pear cactus painted on it to be used as a Christmas ornament. She had things with piercings and cutouts. Fascinating. Have fun! There are actually gourd conventions. I believe S. CA has a large one.

mighty 09-12-2013 05:59 AM

Really looks like fun. Can not wait to see how they come out.

puck116 09-12-2013 06:34 AM

Love these gourds. Can't wait to see your finished items.