Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cats & Quilts Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cats-quilts-question-t230738.html)

WTxRed 09-21-2013 08:51 AM

Cats & Quilts Question

There may be an obvious answer but ....

Our 'charming' black cat accidentally slept in my quilting room overnight - yep, right smack dab on top of a work in progress. There is all of this incredibly fine fur-like cat hair now on this project, like she wallered in it and on top of and underneath.
I know I've seen a number of pictures on this board of cats being on projects, quilts, stacks, framed quilts etc... so for those of you who's pets are drawn to love your projects, just how do you get all that hair off of one?

Suzette316 09-21-2013 08:56 AM

Until it can be finished and washed, I use one of the sticky rollers to get the hair off. Works great and doesn't stretch or distort the fabric if I go slow and careful. :)

But really, I do my best to prevent it in the first place. Knowing my cats will go in my quilt room and curl up on my projects, I often put something equally as soft and comfy on top of my work in progress (like a doubled over piece of flannel that covers the whole project). This works great for me. My project is protected, but all it takes is a quick removal of the flannel when I'm ready to work on it and I'm off and quilting again. :)

Cam's gram 09-21-2013 09:00 AM

Our cat took over a flannel Xmas quilt last year - it's still out on the back of the couch. She is now leaving what I am working on alone. I use the sticky rollers too. The flannel one, I use a brush.

KerryK 09-21-2013 09:12 AM

I use the lint roller all the time! Every time I am finished sewing, before I leave the room, I run my lint roller over my work surfaces and cutting areas. Picks up every little thread! They are good for so much, and I know it would pick up the cat hair.

brunswickgirl 09-21-2013 09:12 AM

My DH makes screen frames for the doors, the width of the door and about 4 feet tall, think of a 1/2 screen door that just pops into the inside of the door, the cats cannot jump over them. This allows heat and ac to flow through the rooms and if you ever want to know where anyone (cat or dog) is...look just outside the screen. They are always there looking at me whether I am sewing, quilting or doing Yoga. LOL

DOTTYMO 09-21-2013 09:13 AM

I have dogs and cats some of my. Removal works.
A rubber glove, sometimes damp and draw hand in one direction only
A damp sponge again one direction a damp hand if nothing else.

These were discovered after my original method fell apart.
Sellotape wrapped around the hand with sticky side out. Move it around hand
Rollers with sticky edges.
Also felt or is it velvet things to swipe down fabric very popular in the 70' - 80's wiped one way and picked up hairs from clothing.
Would not leave a great deal of hair until you wash, from my personel experience a large amount of fur combines and sticks on the item it is on. I have a quilting frame and my dogs and cat roam around the house. When not using the frame ii throw an old sheet over it. One unsuitable for quilting but is clean and will stop fur . Or the cat usually putting a dip in the quilt.

He these methods help.

charsuewilson 09-21-2013 09:24 AM

A lint roller or tape on your hands or one of the velvet lint removers (wipe one way and it collects lint, the other way releases it). I wait until I'm done, though. The cats always return.

Haven't you hear the saying, "Cat hair increases the insulation value of a quilt." ?

A bigger problem is that my kitty boy likes to shread batting, the polyester more so than the cotton batting, so I can't leave any batting out anywhere or sticking out of a quilt or it's gone.

ckcowl 09-21-2013 10:13 AM

I use a sticky lint roller to remove as much as I can- then when my project is completed I wash it.

Raggiemom 09-21-2013 10:19 AM

I use the lint roller as well. I've tried laying out their quilts in the sewing room for them to sleep on but they prefer whatever I'm working on!

Inez Ruth 09-21-2013 02:11 PM

With 4 cats and a dog, I don't even try!