Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Longarm Question - How do you see matching thread? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/longarm-question-how-do-you-see-matching-thread-t233206.html)

PaperPrincess 10-25-2013 04:46 AM

Longarm Question - How do you see matching thread?

Hi, Just filled with questions today. I'm an intermediate long arm quilter. My theory is if I'm gonna quilt it then I want to see the quilting, so I've always used thread that's a bit different color than the fabric. Not black on white, but enough contrast so you can see the thread. I'm working on a friend's quilt and she wanted the thread to match. I'm doing unmarked hand guided quilting. How the heck do you see the quilting you've already done, so you know where you are going? The backing doesn't match the thread and I can see that I'm crossing all kinds of lines in my stippling and my feathers look like they have mange. I'm using W&N, so there's not a lot of loft. I've looked thru previous posts and can't find anything.
Are there any tricks to this?

hcarpanini 10-25-2013 05:01 AM

When I work with white thread on a white quilt, I turn off my machine and room lights. I have a small gooseneck light attached to my machine. I put it so that it shadows my quilting and I can see where I've gone and where I am going.

Nilla 10-25-2013 05:12 AM

Is this maybe what the black light is for? I have great lighting so I don't have a problem seeing my thread or at least the indentation where it's been. I have lots of other problems when I'm trying to use my LA though...

QuiltE 10-25-2013 05:16 AM

No LA experience here, but I know what you mean from doing DSM FMQ .... and even regular ordinary DSM stitching and too, for hand stitching.

ITA it's the lighting ... try turning it up or turning it down or moving it around or a different fixture or more fixtures .................. it's really a trial and error, and once you find what you want, make note, for another time!

Geri B 10-25-2013 06:03 AM

Only work w the lite on your machine and you will see the hills and valleys of your previous stitching......

dunster 10-25-2013 07:29 AM

I agree with the others. It's all in the directional lighting, and sometimes less light is better.

mighty 10-25-2013 08:03 AM

I agree somtimes less light is better.

QuiltNama 10-25-2013 08:42 AM

I turn off all the lights and close the curtains. Then turn on the machine lights only and that seems to help. Any way you do it will be a slower process than usual.

PaperPrincess 10-25-2013 11:48 AM

Thanks for all your suggestions. I was adding more light. I guess I needed to go to the dark side!

PaperPrincess 10-25-2013 03:43 PM

I tried this evening with just the light from the machine, it was better, but still couldn't see well. The quilt is throw size, so there was room on the frame for a lamp. I have one with a positionable arm and I directed the beam across the quilt. That seemed to work the best. I went slowly and finished it. I checked the back of the quilt for places I missed before I removed it from the frame, and found & fixed a few spots. I think I'll stick with contrasting thread.
I now have vast respect for folks who use blending thread or (horrors) monofilament!!!!!!