Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does your LQS have a public sewing room? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-your-lqs-have-public-sewing-room-t234872.html)

toverly 11-16-2013 01:16 PM

Does your LQS have a public sewing room?

Our Guild doesn't have anything to do with Quilting Bees, and there seems to be a need for new quilters and sewers to start meeting with a smaller group. Scrapbook stores do this for scrappers. I was thinking of approaching our LQS to find out if they would let others "sew" in their classroom for a fee. Does your LQS let you come in and sew? Just wondering.

craftyheart2 11-16-2013 01:17 PM

No. They just downsized to a smaller shop and they don't even have enough room for the fabric. I am not sure they will be having classes anymore because of this.

ckcowl 11-16-2013 01:21 PM

our local has a free sew day (Tuesdays) when you can go in, sit around & work on anything you want free of charge. some weeks it is fairly busy, other's only an employee or two - you can hand stitch, bring your machine, and work on what ever. also, any time they do not have a scheduled class going on you are welcome to go in & work on a project- (great for holiday sewing when you don't want those at home to see what you are working on) :) you just need to call ahead & ask if there is table space available-

MadQuilter 11-16-2013 01:39 PM

Yes, during set times. I don't think it's on a walk-in basis.

JenniePenny 11-16-2013 02:03 PM

Yes, it is used not only for their own classes, but frequent Girls' Nights out, and can be rented out to groups.

StephT 11-16-2013 02:05 PM

I think ours does and certain days and it is free. I will have to recheck into it. sometimes it is fun to sew with others.

Lafpeaches 11-16-2013 02:15 PM

Local sewing machine store has a large building in the back that has open sew Monday's. Cost is 6$ paid to the person running it. She is a great quilter and helps solve problems people have. Usually order out and eat supper there. Next door is the LQS. They don't have room as their classroom is very small.

Luv Quilts and Cats 11-16-2013 02:18 PM

One of the shops I go to does have open sews on the weekend and I think 1 night a week. I forget how much it costs, they like to have people sewing so when customers come in they can see what people are working on.

Jackie Spencer 11-16-2013 03:06 PM

A group of ladies I sew with, meet the first Sat. of every month at our Library, the room is free, has a micro wave, coffee maker. We meet from 9 am to 4 PM. We have always asked for it ahead of time ( for a year) a couple of times a year something will come up Library related and we won't be able to have the room, but they let us know ahead of time and we usually make other plans. (Each others homes). You might try something like this.

dunster 11-16-2013 03:10 PM

The quilt shop closest to me has some free times and others where there is a charge, but with the charge you get help with your project.