Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The best size for a table runner (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-size-table-runner-t234885.html)

Grace creates 11-16-2013 03:50 PM

The best size for a table runner

I am making a table runner for a very important person with 6 1/2 inch maple leaf blocks. What is a good size for a table runner. Idea's for quilting it would also be welcome and idea's for the layout. Thank you quilting friends with all your wisdom and experience.

Tartan 11-16-2013 04:09 PM

Does the person use place mats? If so you would want the table runner to stop before hitting the place mats. If no place mats, do you want it to cover most of the table or go over the table ends to dangle over with tassels?

Grace creates 11-16-2013 04:28 PM

I am not trying to make a table cloth, rather a table runner to go in the center of the table, possibly over a table cloth.

nativetexan 11-16-2013 04:46 PM

I'm making one now and it's about 13 or 14 wide and 48 or a bit more long.

Capri 11-16-2013 05:17 PM

I have a 12 seater table so a regular runner is always lost on it. I would think you would need an idea of the length of the table first. These days they are all different shapes and the square 8 seaters are nowhere near as long as the rectangular ones. Might be prudent to check. Quilting the runner - the maple leaves are the most important part so I would echo quilt around them at least 3 times. The rest of the background could be filled simply but cross hatching squares or diamonds any size you think looks good. Start with a wider width eg 2" then stand back and look at it. If it needs more lines, you can add them. HTH Shiree

toverly 11-17-2013 07:07 AM

I think it matters if the table is used alot. If it is a dining room table that only gets used on holidays, then I love my table runners to run to about 12" from the edge (larger than most). I like to put a centerpiece in the exact center and the runners are mostly decorative and seasonal. If it is for a breakfast table, I like just something to hold the salt/pepper and hot sauces with about 18" around the edge.

charsuewilson 11-17-2013 07:17 AM

My personal opinion is that a table runner should be 12" - 18" wide, and 3 feet long to 2.5 feet shorter than the table length, or long enough to hang over the ends of the table by about a foot, so that would be 2 ft longer than the table.

ManiacQuilter2 11-17-2013 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by toverly (Post 6409374)
I think it matters if the table is used alot. If it is a dining room table that only gets used on holidays, then I love my table runners to run to about 12" from the edge (larger than most). I like to put a centerpiece in the exact center and the runners are mostly decorative and seasonal. If it is for a breakfast table, I like just something to hold the salt/pepper and hot sauces with about 18" around the edge.

With so many sizes of dinning tables, it is hard to know what the precise measurement should be. There is a variation of dimensions due primarily the size of the blocks used. I have seen them as narrow as 13" and wide as 18". Is there any way of finding out the dimensions of her table without spoiling the surprise??

mighty 11-17-2013 07:51 AM

For me it depends on the size of the table.

AZ Jane 11-17-2013 08:01 AM

I also have an over-large table. 60" wide barely covers side to side with 1 or 2 inch overhang. I have looked for years for runner, have never found a pattern that I have been able to extend to cover.