Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Why would I need a crock pot? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/why-would-i-need-crock-pot-t236385.html)

Anael 12-09-2013 10:04 AM

Why would I need a crock pot?

So tell me.......please!
I'm on my own, home all day, don't eat much and I don't have much room in my freezer.
QuiltE told me a few times I need one but I'm still not convinced :)

quiltstringz 12-09-2013 10:11 AM

Well if that is the case I can't think of why you would need one. I use one all the time but there are at least 2 of us and sometimes 3. It is really good when you work or don't want to spend time watching some. I throw in cheap cuts of beef or pork along with some seasonings and have the makings for many of the mexican type dishes we love, but I also have freezer space and freeze a lot.

tessagin 12-09-2013 10:16 AM

They do make small crock pots. But whatever your preference. DH doesn't like to leave small appliances on while we are gone from the house. Not even for a little while. Doesn't make sense when the tv is always on 20 hours out of the day. If I'm home I turn it off and turn the radio on or nothing. I would love to fix meals in the crockpot.

Neesie 12-09-2013 10:20 AM

No one really 'needs' a crock pot/slow cooker but they are pretty useful, at times. You can cook meat, without having to worry about it becoming dry and tough. They're excellent, for simmering soups/stews, without heating up the house . . . and you don't have to keep checking the liquid.

Tartan 12-09-2013 10:40 AM

I have my eye on the new ones advertised that allow you to do plug them into each other. I doubt think they are as big as the crock pots but I thought they would be super for family reunions where limited hydro outlets are available.

NJ Quilter 12-09-2013 01:13 PM

I have 1 or 3 but RARELY use it anymore for similar reasons (home all day; not a big freezer; only 2 of us). But it is my go-to appliance when making spaghetti sauce (simmers for hours with no fuss). I, too, like the small ones that hook together as we have a fairly big open house during the holidays and it would be handy to keep things warm. I do have a large warming tray though, so no need for both. But I think the small ones would be a neat gadget. Too bad I don't have more storage room!

toverly 12-09-2013 02:06 PM

You don't. The idea is to set it and go but since a friend's house burned down from using an old crock pot, we never leave our's going when we aren't here. It can be nice not to turn on the big oven for pot roast but, that's about it.

Sandygirl 12-09-2013 03:51 PM

I use our small one all of the time. It is the perfect size (1 quart!) for two servings of anything. Once you fill it up and plug it in.....you can sew the day away and eat when you are ready ..later in the day. Why stand over a stove?

I make...chili, a small roast, soups, lasagna, chicken, cornish hens, etc.
Sandy

SmickChick 12-09-2013 05:26 PM

If you put a couple of turkey legs or thighs in, along with some liquid like white wine, chic broth, apple juice; it cooks up beautifully and quickly. Our area sells turkey parts in the meat counter just like fresh chickens. When in another state, we couldn't find them except frozen. Must be regional. Fresh is much better than frozen.Anyway, in my neck of the woods, they are quick and easy!!

KarenR 12-09-2013 06:43 PM

I love how tender the meat is out of a crock pot. I can get by with cheaper cuts of meat.

Chili in the crock pot? Is for day's when everyone comes home at different times and it is cold out.
You can get smaller ones.