Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Unexpected perk to buying a whole bolt of batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/unexpected-perk-buying-whole-bolt-batting-t236549.html)

RST 12-11-2013 04:57 PM

Unexpected perk to buying a whole bolt of batting

I bought my first full roll with my 50% off coupon at Joann recently, and one of the nicest results has been how easy it is to layer quilts when the batting is nice and smooth, never having been folded up in a package. Layering this last quilt was positively a piece of cake-- no wrestling with unevenly cut batting or big wrinkles -- seriously, just layered and pinned and there was no need for rounds two, three and four of adjusting and smoothing to get the whole thing smooth.

DebraK 12-11-2013 05:18 PM

Wonderful, isn't it?

ManiacQuilter2 12-11-2013 05:19 PM

Yes, I have bought batting by the bolt for a couple of decades now. Helpful hint for those packaged batting. Lightly mist the batting then place in an air fluff cycle, no HEAT. You will find that it removes the crinkles quite nicely.

Misty's Mom 12-11-2013 05:22 PM

I love the rolls

RST 12-11-2013 05:28 PM

I feel kind of cheated by all the years and many, many quilts I've made with wretched, wrinkled battings. I do know the tricks of opening the package and allowing the batt to "relax" and spritzing and putting it in the dryer, and even ironing with a cool iron and a press cloth -- still, nothing compares to straight off the bolt. I'll never go back.

sushi 12-11-2013 05:29 PM

Gosh, I've never thought about the "roll factor". Makes total sense. Thanks for telling us all about the advantage!

franc36 12-11-2013 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 6452133)
Yes, I have bought batting by the bolt for a couple of decades now. Helpful hint for those packaged batting. Lightly mist the batting then place in an air fluff cycle, no HEAT. You will find that it removes the crinkles quite nicely.

That is what I do to remove wrinkles; but I do use heat in the dryer. I hope it shrinks the batting a little. At any rate, it gets the wrinkles out.

Shelbie 12-11-2013 07:08 PM

I started out buying batting by the roll just because there was no local Joanne's in good old rural Ontario. The closest place to buy batting was over an hour away and I couldn't pop over every time I needed batting. I can remember buying the first roll and tying it on the roof of my van because I had no room inside with all of the carseats. DH thought I was a little crazy but at least I had a supply on hand. I usually keep a roll of W&N, Hobbs Poly down and 80/20 ready to quilt.

beaglelady 12-11-2013 10:26 PM

How much does a full roll of batting cost? Hobbs 80/20 or Warm and Natural.

quiltinghere 12-12-2013 04:11 AM

Yes, it is WONDERFUL not to have to get rid of all those folds from a package of tightly rolled batting!

I have a number rolls of different batting for different quilting applications :thumbup:

Nan