Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ? Collecting fabric for christmas log cabin.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/collecting-fabric-christmas-log-cabin-t237297.html)

jillmc 12-23-2013 05:18 PM

? Collecting fabric for christmas log cabin....

I would love to make a scrappy Christmas log cabin quilt...is it reasonable to collect fat quarters, or will that take forever? Planning a large throw size quilt...I want to cut strips at 1 1/2", so jelly rolls are not practical.

IAmCatOwned 12-23-2013 06:13 PM

1.5 inches is rather small IMHO. I'd make one block first before deciding.

Anyway, Fat quarters are fine. However, you can't easily do Eleanor Burns method with it. I ended up using rulers to cut to sizes needed. When you are ready to work the project, put in n audio book and press and press. Then continue listening while cut, cut ,cutting. Don't expect to get the cutting done all at once. Also, don't do it while watching TV or you will cut yourself.

Lori S 12-23-2013 07:45 PM

I personally love log cabins made using 1.5 inch cuts... Fat quarters are fine but .. cut your longest logs first to make the most of your fabric. You may not get the variety you want using fat 1/4's. Do you know anyone you can swap 1.5 inch strips? That might be a good option. You might post in the "in search of" portion of this board and swap strips with others or even Christmas scraps. I know I would be up for it!

Nammie to 7 12-23-2013 08:36 PM

I collected fruit fabric to make a log cabin - used fat quarters. I cut strips the length of the fabric, I don't cut the strips to size. If you sew carefully you won't have any issues. When the quilt was done I only had about 2 fat quarters I didn't use - they had too much white in them. Wish I would have kept track of how many I used. The light side was white with black. Also don't remember how long I collected the fabric before I made the quilt this year. Good luck -you will love your quilt when it is done.

MacThayer 12-24-2013 12:09 AM

You should be able to pick up some nice fat quarters on sale after Christmas, or just get fabric in 1/2 yard cuts. I'm seeing a lot of sales on Christmas fabric. Love the idea of your quilt!

Jackie Spencer 12-24-2013 06:51 AM

Dunster posted a picture yesterday of her Log cabin, she cut her strips 1.5 and it is beautiful. I think 1.5 strips are perfect for a Log Cabin. A Log Cabin using Christmas fabrics would be gorgeous. Do you know what setting you will use?

jillmc 12-24-2013 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer (Post 6472072)
Dunster posted a picture yesterday of her Log cabin, she cut her strips 1.5 and it is beautiful. I think 1.5 strips are perfect for a Log Cabin. A Log Cabin using Christmas fabrics would be gorgeous. Do you know what setting you will use?

I have not settled on a setting yet-Dunster's quilt is just gorgeous with the on-point setting. Perhaps after christmas I will post a swap thread- I have lots of christmas fabric in pastels, but I want to do my log cabin in traditional reds and greens. Would love links to after christmas fabric sales! ;)

nhweaver 12-24-2013 10:14 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I did this pattern in 1 1/2" STrips. The blocks were a bit wonky, so I squared off each block and added sashing around each block set. Here is the pattern:

ManiacQuilter2 12-24-2013 10:24 AM

Certainly is the time of the season to get Christmas fabric on sale !! Good Luck !!

lildinks2013 12-24-2013 11:34 AM

Love these quilts. My to do list is growing.