Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Problem W/Hobbs Wool batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/problem-w-hobbs-wool-batting-t237307.html)

DogHouseMom 12-23-2013 07:47 PM

Problem W/Hobbs Wool batting

2 Attachment(s)
I bought a bag of Hobbs 100% Wool batting and took it to use on a quilt today. Note that this is the FIRST quilt that I am making that I am KEEPING (hence the wool cause I'm worth it <g>), and the first quilt I'm loading on my long arm.

I made new leaders for my long arm (with zippers!) and spent the better part of the morning getting those lined up and secured on the poles. Loaded my quilt back - nice and straight - everything is going well. I open the bag of batting and ... horrors.

I can only imagine that when they rolled it and stuffed it in the bag that one area got stretched and now I have these huge "balloons" on every other fold. I can't get them to lay down. The part that balloon's out is very thin. See attached pic's. The first is the batting laying on top of my long arm, the second is the part that is hanging down (I am floating this quilt).

Fortunately I had more batting that I was able to load up and got the quilt started, but it's 80/20 and darn it ... I REALLY wanted that wool batting!!

Any idea if this batting can be saved?

One thing I know ... I doubt I will NEVER buy packaged batting again. I'll get it off the roll.

phooey.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]453037[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]453038[/ATTACH]</g>

dakotamaid 12-23-2013 08:09 PM

Try putting it in the dryer on low heat or just air. I know it works with poly and W and N batting. Shake it out so all the folds are unfolded and put in the dryer for about 20 minutes.

AngeliaNR 12-23-2013 08:11 PM

Contact the company with your pictures. They should replace it since it is clearly defective. (Now I'm wondering about the package in my closet!)

Tartan 12-23-2013 08:12 PM

I would try the fluff cycle and see if that helps. How about adding it on top of the 80/20 ? It's not as if you are going to use it alone on another quilt.

DogHouseMom 12-23-2013 08:16 PM

Thanks Ladies ... I'll try the dryer tomorrow. And thanks Tartan ... I hadn't thought of using it with another batting.

Nammie to 7 12-23-2013 08:28 PM

Oh my, ain't nothing easy!! Hope the dryer solves your problem!

Prism99 12-23-2013 09:38 PM

I would spray the thin folds with water before putting in the dryer. The dryer alone will smooth out most battings, but I'm thinking misting the areas that are thin may help the batting shrink a little (and become more dense) where needed. If that doesn't work, I would definitely contact the company.

MacThayer 12-23-2013 11:54 PM

Can you block a batting? I've blocked lots of quilt tops and blocks. Basically, I get it completely wet, nudge everything into place, and then pin it to a sheet taped to the floor. Pin it squarely! Then let it dry. Otherwise I'd just send it back to the company for refund.

ckcowl 12-24-2013 03:01 AM

I've used many hobbs wool battings and have never had one come out of the package looking like that- never that thin- where in the world did you buy it? I would contact that company. the wool battings I purchase are lofty- sometimes they do have 'puff' to them, but ones I start quilting with them they lay right & quilt beautifully. I either buy my hobbs wool battings from the local quilt shop or on occasion from Connecting Threads. I also love the Dream Wool battings. I've never seen one so thin- the great thing about wool batting (to me) is the loftiness even though lightweight. I would definitely by contacting where it was purchased.

mighty 12-24-2013 09:25 AM

I would contact the company. Maybe they will be able to help you!