Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Looking for good meatball recipe (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/looking-good-meatball-recipe-t237781.html)

Jordan 12-31-2013 05:42 AM

Looking for good meatball recipe

Anyone have a delicious meatball recipe that has great taste. I don't really care if they have to marinate in sauce for some time. My family had been given meatballs and sauce during the holiday season and I would love to repeat the taste. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

vjc 01-01-2014 05:37 AM

Meatball & Sauce Dip

This is the recipe I was given.

MEATBALL & SAUCE DIP

3-4 lbs. Ground Chuck
1 Pkg. French Chili Mix (2 Pks. for saucier meatballs)
2 Large Sweet Onions
2-3 Lbs. Mild Sausage (Jimmy Dean, etc.)
2 Eggs, Well Beaten
1 Cup Regular or Italian Bread Crumbs (a Either is good)
Salt & Pepper to Taste

Mix all the above together. Roll into 1" balls. Cook in skillet on top of stove until you see the liquid coming out the balls clear. Once you see a clear liquid coming out of the balls, they are done. Individually take out the meatballs & put into a bowl. Do not pour the leftover juice in the bowl with the meatballs. Throw it out. Put a cover over the top of the bowl to keep the meatballs from drying out & set aside.

SAUCE:
Mix-
1 Bottle of Hunt's Chili Sauce
1 Large Jar Apple Jelly

Mix these 2 together, heat, and pour on top of the meatballs. YUM!

You can eat them as appetizers or put as many as you want on a bun and add coleslaw, mayo, mustard, etc., or whatever you want to add. I like to cut my meatballs in half when making a sandwich.

ENJOY!

Originally Posted by Jordan (Post 6483374)
Anyone have a delicious meatball recipe that has great taste. I don't really care if they have to marinate in sauce for some time. My family had been given meatballs and sauce during the holiday season and I would love to repeat the taste. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Elisabrat 01-01-2014 05:56 AM

I have had similar meatballs but the sauce was using grape jelly. sweet tangy?

we make great meatballs but use regular sauce on them? no jelly just pure Italian stuff. is that what your looking for or more of like the above recipe??

Tartan 01-01-2014 07:02 AM

Rachel Ray did a count down of the 10 most downloaded recipes of 2013 yesterday. One of those was a meatball recipe if you are interested.

Jordan 01-01-2014 07:27 AM

Thank you Tartan, vjc and Elisabrat for the feed back and info on the request for meatballs. I think the "Italian stuff" would probably work for us. Actually, I am not a meat eater but my daughter, granddaughter and husband will appreciate any meatball I make. Wish me luck! I will also go to Rachel Ray's web site.

Kooklabell 01-01-2014 07:50 AM

Look for a recipe that includes milk. That seems to be the key to good Italian meatballs. My BIL owned a restaurant in NYC for over30 years. His chef's recipe includes breadcrumbs, egg, milk, a good beef (not chuck) a bit of onion, parsley and a dash of oregano. Work the mixture with your hands. They should be slightly moist. Make large meat balls. Place on a baking sheet (spray first). Bake for about 30 minutes in a 350 oven. Place in sauce to finish cooking.

DogHouseMom 01-01-2014 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Kooklabell (Post 6485683)
Look for a recipe that includes milk. That seems to be the key to good Italian meatballs. My BIL owned a restaurant in NYC for over30 years. His chef's recipe includes breadcrumbs, egg, milk, a good beef (not chuck) a bit of onion, parsley and a dash of oregano. Work the mixture with your hands. They should be slightly moist. Make large meat balls. Place on a baking sheet (spray first). Bake for about 30 minutes in a 350 oven. Place in sauce to finish cooking.

This was how Grandma and Mom (and me) made them except the meatballs are braised in the pot you plan on making the spaghetti gravy in (with a little oil at the bottom). Leave the oil and the drippings after removing the meatballs, let it cool, then make the gravy in the same pot. After all the gravy ingredients have come to the first boil the meatballs can go back into the pot.

We also added a bit of either parmesean, romano or fontana cheese to the meatballs.

Krsy 01-01-2014 02:16 PM

This is a recipe from an elderly neighbor, she came to the states in 1959 from Italy.

1lb. ground chuck
1/2lb. ground pork
1/4 cup parsley
1 cup bread crumbs
3 cloves garlic
1/2 cup Romano cheese
4 eggs
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp pepper
Bake on greased cookie sheet for 25 minutes in 400 degree oven.

Elisabrat 01-01-2014 03:27 PM

yeah I bake them krsy like you but use parmesan and also a splash of milk but instead of bread crumbs use torn up white bread soaked in milk first then torn up smaller and added to the meat. baking first gives a nice crust and then add them to pot with sauce for 20 minutes or so to let the sauce flavor them nicely. I make mine bigger than some so only two or three needed on your sauce or in my case .. one!

Sandygirl 01-01-2014 04:04 PM

I mix half lean hamburger with the other half Italian sausage. Make into balls and cook in a pan. Top with your favorite spaghetti sauce. Yum!

sandy