Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Marking your quilts. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/marking-your-quilts-t238331.html)

CharlotteO 01-07-2014 08:29 AM

Marking your quilts.

I haven't been quilting very long, and have only done basic quilting. I am planning on doing more quilting and would like to know the favorite tools you use to mark, and how you remove them. From the internet research I've done, I am more confused than ever.

Chalk - difficult to remove
Quilt markers - difficult to remove,
Pouncers - chalk=difficult t remove
Special markers - some get set on permanently if you press your piecing

My mom suggested soap slivers - get small ones from hotels, or cut one up but obviously test it on your fabric before proceeding. I also ran across something called soapstone pencils, anyone tried these.
Tailors Chalk - how easy is it to remove.

I love this board, and spend way too much time on here, but knew this would be the place to ask questions about markers and ways to remove them.

Thank you for any and all information.

DOTTYMO 01-07-2014 09:32 AM

I tend to use the fixion pens most of the time. Easy to remove. I also use the chalk roller which disappears as fast I quilt.

QuiltE 01-07-2014 09:42 AM

Ceramic Pencils are another for you to check out.

I started using them before Christmas and am quite happy. It's a mechanical pencil with a fine ceramic lead in it. You can get it in white or traditional lead colour.

nativetexan 01-07-2014 12:17 PM

I tried tailors chalk and found it hard to remove. blue wash out markers work well for me. I don't press after using that though. washing it out and then one could press I guess, but why? I have some markers for stencils. one is pink lead and it comes out well enough. I prefer soapstone marker but can't get a point on it well. testing is imperative for any fabric and marker.

amh 01-07-2014 12:26 PM

Personally, I prefer the pouncer. I have never found it that difficult to remove, but I just give it a swipe over whatever I'm marking. Sometimes I have to remark as it's rubbed off. If there is any left after I finish quilting, I just wipe a slightly damp cloth over it and it's gone. I have never used the blue chalk, so cannot comment on it. I have heard that it is more difficult to get rid of.

I am somewhat paranoid about marking quilts as I'm so afraid it will stay on the fabric. I usually undermark because of this paranoia. My suggestion would be to keep some of the fabric the quilt is made from to test out marking devices. If they come out easily that would be the one to use.

I think different things work for different people. Depends what we are looking for.

Good luck in finding what works best for you.

Aileen

Tartan 01-07-2014 01:16 PM

If the fabrics are dark enough for white chalk to show, I use ordinary white chalkboard chalk. I use a make-up pencil sharpener to get a nice point. I use a damp facecloth to remove the marks when I am done.

NJ Quilter 01-07-2014 01:16 PM

I use a #2 regular mechanical pencil to mark light fabrics and a white (similar) Bohin mechanical pencil to mark on dark fabrics. I hand quilt. I mark as I go as the white usually will rub off before I get there. I also wash my quilts when done and have never had an issue with either of these 2 products coming out.

indycat32 01-07-2014 05:32 PM

I use the pounce with the miracle chalk that irons off. I also use that chalk as the refill for my chalk roller marker for marking straight lines. I like using this chalk because I can try out motifs and if it doesn't work, I can just iron it away and try again.

tate_elliott 01-07-2014 06:04 PM

I like the Frixion pen, although some folks don't like them. The ink irons away. I've also used washable markers from the dollar store. Of course, I tested them first. I had trouble with only one color, but I can't remember which one because I immediately threw that one away! I didn't know chalk was hard to remove. But I do wash all my quilts when they're finished.

Tate

Holice 01-07-2014 06:35 PM

Ceramic mechanical in white, multi- pastel chalk pencil in white and light gray only, magic chalk in pounce pad. I recommend staying away from fixon and any color chalk.