Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Funeral quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/funeral-quilt-t239227.html)

Prissnboot 01-20-2014 05:04 AM

Funeral quilt

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, I went to the National Museum of Funeral History in Houston yesterday - something I've always wanted to do, and what an interesting thing to do for a second date as well!

Anyway, imagine my surprise to see a quilt there, of all things, and I thought people here may find it interesting.

This is what the information posted next to it said:

"This mourning quilt was made in the 1920s from the different color floral ribbons attached to the flower baskets, which were sent by family and friends of the deceased to the funeral service.

"The funeral director would remove the floral ribbons from the flower baskets after the funeral service and give them to the family. Usually the family members of the deceased would sew the floral ribbons together and a fabric backing was added.

"The mourning floral ribbon quilt served two purposes, to keep the family members warm at home and also a rememberance of the deceased.

"There are very few floral ribbons mourning quilts in existance today, because of the deterioration of the ribbon fabric over the years."

Cybrarian 01-20-2014 05:13 AM

A beautiful rememberance, but that was my first thought, how would the ribbon stand up to laundering?

nanna-up-north 01-20-2014 05:16 AM

Oh my. I don't think I would ever go to a funeral museum.... too morbid for me. But, the quilt is interesting. I can understand why the ribbons would deteriorate. And, I'm surprised that this quilt is so colorful. Do the ribbons have words on them? People make memory quilts all the time so I shouldn't be surprised at a funeral ribbon quilt, I guess.

PaperPrincess 01-20-2014 05:26 AM

And that mourning quilt from the 20's looks like a modern jelly roll quilt!
Interesting info!

Jackie Spencer 01-20-2014 05:37 AM

funeral museum...... and on a second date? Whose idea was this? I did'nt know there was such a thing, what other interesting things did you see?

Tartan 01-20-2014 05:47 AM

The sashes were probably silk and that would hold up pretty well. Interesting concept.

Jingle 01-20-2014 06:14 AM

I too thought it looked like a jelly roll race quilt.
I think it would not be used and wouldn't need laundering. It should only be displayed and dusted off occasionally with a dust brush on the vacuum, not all quilts need to be used.

susie337 01-20-2014 06:14 AM

Whatever else he turns out to be, he's original! I think it sounds fascinating, especially the quilt part!

mighty 01-20-2014 06:54 AM

Very interesting!

ljptexas 01-20-2014 07:04 AM

Very interesting… I've never seen or heard of this one. But have heard of 'passing over' quilt. It's used when a body is removed from a room, especially in a NH. More easy to look at than a body bag. My Mom is in a NH right now & I have wanted to make 2 for that Home, 1 for guys & 1 for ladies, using up my orphan blocks. Of course, the NH home keeps it & reuses it. Don't know off hand the dimensions.