Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Featherweight not working (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/featherweight-not-working-t239718.html)

mike'sgirl 01-26-2014 07:57 PM

Featherweight not working

I recently won an auction for a featherweight. Although the body is in near pristine condition,the wheel does not move the needle. The motor runs and we have oiled it. What might be wrong do you think? Thanks so much, Gina

Candace 01-26-2014 09:38 PM

The belt may need an adjustment or the clutch knob on the hand wheel has been loosened to engage the bobbin winder.

mighty 01-26-2014 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 6537136)
The belt may need an adjustment or the clutch knob on the hand wheel has been loosened to engage the bobbin winder.

My thoughts exactly!

Jassinc6 01-27-2014 02:10 AM

Did you check the bobbin case for threads? And have you oiled and greased it? I just finished cleaning up a featherweight that hadn't been used for years and found that it was so dry that the disks underneath the bobbin race(?) needed to be taken out and cleaned thoroughly; the little grooves in it were packed with gunk and caused the thread to jam. Even a small piece of thread lodged behind it will stop the needle from moving up or down and the hand wheel won't budge either. I put a dap of Tri Flow between the disks before putting it back together and problem was solved. It runs great now. Just my two cents.

Sally J 01-27-2014 07:03 AM

I would bet if its thats pristine its the clutch knob like mentioned before. Let us know what you find out

nwm50 01-28-2014 09:25 AM

Check to see if needle in proper alignment. Or the wheel is loosened from bobbin winder or make sure winder is moved away from it....the littlest thing caused problem!

Redsquirrel 01-28-2014 09:45 AM

tell me you greased the motor, you didn't use sewing machine oil did you?

mike'sgirl 01-28-2014 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Redsquirrel (Post 6540178)
tell me you greased the motor, you didn't use sewing machine oil did you?

I don't think my husband greased the motor, but he did use sewing machine oil in other places. I thought I was supposed to use it. Is there something else instead?

oldsewnsew 01-28-2014 12:30 PM

does the hand wheel turn freely by hand? does the needle move when turning by hand? Is the freewheel clutch knob tightened? (hold the balancewheel and turn knob clockwise.)
when the motor spins,
1) does its pulley also spin ? if not, loose set screw in pulley.
2) does the belt move but not the balance/handwheel, (loose belt)
3) if you give it a little spin by hand with the pedal depresse, does it turn but slowly. needs more cleaning and oil and perhapd brushes.
what did I miss? thread jams are common in these behind bobbin case. remove bobbin case and bottom cover and examine for threads. remove needle plate and examine for lint buikdup...

oldsewnsew 01-28-2014 12:33 PM

bulkdup?? dadgummed phone. cant see screen when keyboard is showing...